[NatureNS] Wilson's and Pine Warblers -Pictou

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:14:10 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01CEE9CF.76FE6A50

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Yesterday afternoon (Nov 24) I took a walk on the grounds of the =
McCulloch Museum in Pictou and although there were not a lot of birds, =
many of them were warblers! Just east of the pond on the property a =
bright male Wilson's Warbler (well defined black cap) was travelling =
with a couple of BCCH in some multiflora bushes. Alas, I did not have my =
camera on me, but it was very bright yellow in the face.=20

 A little later, north of the McCulloch house and west of the tiny =
cattail marsh, I encountered a small "flock" of Pine Warblers  again =
travelling with half a dozen chickadees. I am pretty sure I counted 6. =
Two of these were dull plumage birds with little or no yellow ( first =
fall fem) and the other 4 had yellow on breasts. Only other birds noted =
were 2 Song Sparrows and a few Starlings.=20

On Nov 23, I had a sub adult Lesser Black-backed Gull at Halibuton Gut =
with the thousands of Bonaparte's and other Gulls incl . ~ 10 Iceland =
Gulls. The LBBG had a dark bill but otherwise had an adult plumage =
mantle . The neck and face had some dark feathers and yellow legs were =
noted when it hovered above the water.  This inlet was fully iced over =
Nov 24.

I birded Big I. on afternoon of Nov 22 and had 3 Harlequin Ducks with =
some Surf Scoters along the Strait side of the Causeway.  Only =
shorebirds noted were single Dunlin and Sanderling. A group of 7 Cedar =
Waxwings were on a Canada Holly.  There were 4 Horned Larks along the =
Strait shoreline of the causeway. I noted eight Red-throated Loons and a =
single Common Loon as well as a couple Horned Grebes. I noted 95 =
Bonaparte's Gulls but only 90 Red-breasted Mergansers. Often they can =
been seen in the thousands this time of year, but they may have been =
off-shore hidden in the wave action as it was windy. Complete results =
have been posted on Ebird.=20

cheers
Ken

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01CEE9CF.76FE6A50

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Yesterday afternoon (Nov 24)&nbsp;I =
took a walk on=20
the grounds of the McCulloch Museum in Pictou and although there were =
not a lot=20
of birds, many of them were warblers! Just east of the pond on the =
property a=20
bright male <STRONG>Wilson's Warbler</STRONG> (well defined black =
cap)&nbsp;was=20
travelling with a couple of BCCH in some multiflora bushes. Alas, I did =
not have=20
my camera on me, but it was very bright yellow in the face. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;A little later, north of the =
McCulloch house=20
and west of the tiny cattail marsh, I encountered a small "flock" of=20
<STRONG>Pine Warblers</STRONG>&nbsp; again travelling with half a dozen=20
chickadees. I am pretty sure I counted 6. Two of these were dull plumage =
birds=20
with little or no yellow ( first fall fem) and the other 4 had yellow on =

breasts. Only other birds noted were 2 Song Sparrows and a few =
Starlings.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>On Nov 23, I had a sub adult =
<STRONG>Lesser=20
Black-backed Gull</STRONG> at Halibuton Gut with the thousands of =
Bonaparte's=20
and other Gulls incl . ~ 10 <STRONG>Iceland Gulls</STRONG>. The LBBG had =
a dark=20
bill but otherwise had an adult plumage mantle . The neck and face had =
some dark=20
feathers and yellow legs were noted when it hovered above the water. =
&nbsp;This=20
inlet was fully iced over Nov 24.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I birded Big I. on afternoon of Nov 22 =
and had 3=20
<STRONG>Harlequin Ducks</STRONG> with some Surf Scoters along the Strait =
side of=20
the Causeway. &nbsp;Only shorebirds noted were single <STRONG>Dunlin=20
</STRONG>and <STRONG>Sanderling</STRONG>. A group of 7 <STRONG>Cedar=20
Waxwings</STRONG> were on a Canada Holly. &nbsp;There were <STRONG>4 =
Horned=20
Larks</STRONG> along the Strait shoreline of the causeway. I noted eight =

<STRONG>Red-throated Loons</STRONG> and a single <STRONG>Common =
Loon</STRONG> as=20
well as a couple <STRONG>Horned Grebes</STRONG>. I noted 95 =
<STRONG>Bonaparte's=20
Gulls</STRONG> but only 90 <STRONG>Red-breasted Mergansers</STRONG>. =
Often they=20
can been seen in the thousands this time of year, but they may have been =

off-shore hidden in the wave action as it was windy. Complete results =
have been=20
posted on Ebird. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01CEE9CF.76FE6A50--