[NatureNS] shark identification network

From: "Laurie Murison" <gmwhale@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:07:54 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0348_01CEEB71.AF5CCF10

FYI

We're trying to get more people talking about the Shark Identification =
Network (SIN), which is a platform for reporting shark sightings in =
Atlantic Canada (well, Gulf of Maine up to Newfoundland, to be =
specific). This platform also allows people to submit photographs of =
basking sharks to our Photo ID Catalogue. The objective is to gain a =
better understanding of shark distribution and occurrence in this region =
and the more people we have submitting sightings and photographs, the =
better. SIN began in the Bay of Fundy a couple years ago, an initiative =
of the Grand Manan Whale and Seabird Research Station, in partnership =
with World Wildlife Fund and funding from the Habitat Stewardship =
Program (HSP). Thanks to funding from HSP, we expanded to the rest of =
Nova Scotia and the Gulf of Maine this past year and over the next two =
years, will be expanding to Newfoundland, PEI and parts of Quebec.=20

Jarrett Corke (WWF) made a great website for SIN
http://sharkidnetwork.com/

which now hosts our blog:
http://sharkidnetwork.com/blog/

(you can follow the blog by clicking the +Follow tab that pops up in the =
bottom right-hand corner and entering your email address).=20

To try and reach more people, we also have a Facebook page =
https://www.facebook.com/sharkidetwork
We're hoping people can "like" us and spread the word. It doesn't matter =
where you live, the more people we can reach out to, the better. So =
please pass this info along to anyone you think would be interested! =
Thanks!!

Sarah Wong
Halifax, NS
------=_NextPart_000_0348_01CEEB71.AF5CCF10

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">FYI</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">We're trying to get more =
people=20
talking about the Shark Identification Network (SIN), which is a =
platform for=20
reporting shark sightings in Atlantic Canada (well, Gulf of Maine up to=20
Newfoundland, to be specific). This platform also allows people to =
submit=20
photographs of basking sharks to our Photo ID Catalogue. The objective =
is to=20
gain a better understanding of shark distribution and occurrence in this =
region=20
and the more people we have submitting sightings and photographs, the =
better.=20
SIN began in the Bay of Fundy a couple years ago, an initiative of the =
Grand=20
Manan Whale and Seabird Research Station, in partnership with World =
Wildlife=20
Fund and funding from the Habitat Stewardship Program (HSP). Thanks to =
funding=20
from HSP, we expanded to the rest of Nova Scotia and the Gulf of Maine =
this past=20
year and over the next two years, will be expanding to Newfoundland, PEI =
and=20
parts of Quebec.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Jarrett Corke (WWF) made a =
great=20
website for SIN</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><A=20
style=3D"COLOR: rgb(25,106,212); FONT-SIZE: 14pt" href=3D"" =
rel=3Dnofollow=20
target=3D_blank>http://sharkidnetwork.com/</A></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">which now hosts our =
blog:</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><A style=3D"COLOR: =
rgb(25,106,212)"=20
href=3D"" rel=3Dnofollow =
target=3D_blank>http://sharkidnetwork.com/blog/</A><BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">(you can follow the blog by =
clicking=20
the +Follow tab that pops up in the bottom right-hand corner and =
entering your=20
email address).&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">To try and reach more =
people, we also=20
have a Facebook page <A=20
style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); COLOR: rgb(25,106,212); =
FONT-SIZE: 14pt"=20
href=3D"" rel=3Dnofollow=20
target=3D_blank>https://www.facebook.com/sharkidetwork</A></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">We're hoping people can =
"like" us and=20
spread the word. It doesn't matter where you live, the more people we =
can reach=20
out to, the better. So please pass this info along to anyone you think =
would be=20
interested! Thanks!!</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Sarah Wong</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Halifax,=20
NS</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0348_01CEEB71.AF5CCF10--