[NatureNS] Winter Birding Dec. 2

From: Larry Neily <larry.neily@hotmail.com>
To: Post to NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 21:31:27 -0400

--_2832ecf1-92c5-4761-975a-fa094e76ccff_

My brother Wayne and I went birding Monday. Beginning in Kentville we had t=
he Yellow-throated Warbler and 2 Pine Warblers at the Blair Avenue feeding =
station. We were joined by Bernard Forsythe who led us to the 6 Birchwood a=
ddress where the Bullock's Oriole had been seen. We missed that but had at =
least 8 N. Cardinals and 5 White-throated Sparrows in the thickets outside =
the fence. We met Bernard again on Cherry Lane=2C Wolfville. We did not see=
 the Dickcissel=2C but had a Northern Mockingbird and Am. Tree Sparrow alon=
g the old rail line west of Cherry. Sans Bernard=2C we went to Grand Pre. A=
long Miner Lane=2C where there are many compost piles=2C we had at least 20=
 Song Sparrows and a variety of other birds=2C including 4 Am. Tree Sparrow=
s and a female Red-winged Blackbird. There were 10 Bald Eagles perched in t=
he tree above the compost heaps. On the east side of the meadow a plowing o=
peration had attracted over 35 Bald Eagles and an equal number on Com. Rave=
ns. We also had about 14 Horned Larks near there. At the east end of East L=
ong Island Road (the Guzzle area) we had a Snowy Owl=2C 5 Snow Buntings=2C =
7 Sanderling=2C 3 Dunlin=2C 4 Song and one Savannah Sparrow=2C 3 Com. Merga=
nsers=2C and way off at the receeding waterline around 70 smaller gulls wit=
h a few Gr. Black-backed and Herring Gulls for size comparison. We had a fe=
w more Horned Larks and a Lapland Longspur on the way back out East Long Is=
land Road before reaching the farm. Then we cut across the west side of the=
 meadow=2C between West Long Island Road and Miner Lane (where I had had bo=
th Short-eared Owl and N. Harrier on Nov. 29). This day a single Short-eare=
d Owl flew up from beside the car. Great day. Cheers=2C Larry 		 	   		  =

--_2832ecf1-92c5-4761-975a-fa094e76ccff_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
[...]
) we had a Snowy Owl=2C 5 Snow Buntings=2C 7 Sanderling=2C 3 Dunlin=2C&nbsp=
=3B4 Song and one Savannah Sparrow=2C 3 Com. Mergansers=2C and way off at t=
he receeding waterline around 70 smaller gulls with a few Gr. Black-backed =
and Herring Gulls for size comparison. We had a few more Horned Larks and a=
 Lapland Longspur on the way back out East Long Island Road before reaching=
 the farm. Then we cut across the west side of the meadow=2C between West L=
ong Island Road and Miner Lane (where I had had both Short-eared Owl and N.=
 Harrier on Nov. 29). This day a single Short-eared Owl flew up from beside=
 the car. Great day. Cheers=2C Larry 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_2832ecf1-92c5-4761-975a-fa094e76ccff_--