[NatureNS] paasenger pigeon 100th anniversary of demise, 2014

From: "Laurie Murison" <gmwhale@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 09:40:05 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0117_01CEF4C2.A3FBBD20

FYI

Laurie Murison
Grand Manan, NB

------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

 As you may know, next year marks the centenary of the passenger =
pigeon's extinction. This was the world's most abundant bird and we =
wiped it out in decades. Project Passenger Pigeon (P3) is a coalition of =
over 150 organizations in Canada and the United States that aims to use =
this anniversary as a teaching moment to familiarize people with the =
story of the bird and to use that story as a portal into consideration =
of current issues related to extinction, the connections between nature =
and people, and the need to create sustainable relations with other =
species.

 We are writing  this letter to share with you the materials that are, =
or soon will be, available that would facilitate your involvement. More =
information on all of these can be found on our web-site at  =
http://passengerpigeon.org/ and especially  =
http://passengerpigeon.org/everyoneinvolved.html.

 1. Exhibit panels created by the University of Michigan's Museum of =
Natural History can be downloaded from the website for printing by the =
interested venue. The beautiful nine panel exhibit, entitled A Shadow =
Over the Earth, focuses on the passenger pigeon, extinction, and how we =
can be better stewards of bio-diversity. There will also be two blank =
panels so the exhibit can encompass local issues or materials.

 2. Two traveling exhibits will be available: 1) Michigan State =
University Museum will create a 1,000 square foot traveling exhibit =
dealing with passenger pigeons and extinction, and the 2) Leigh Yawkey =
Woodson Art Museum (Wausau, WI) will be mounting an exhibit on the =
passenger pigeon in the fall of 2014, and portions would be available to =
other institutions.

 3. A Feathered River Across the Sky: The Passenger Pigeon's Flight to =
Extinction by Joel Greenberg (Bloomsbury USA), the first major book on =
the bird in 50 years, will be published in January.  Joel is available =
for lectures and signings.

 4. The documentary, From Billions to None: The Passenger Pigeon's =
Flight to Extinction, will be available in early spring 2014 for =
showing.

 5. A curriculum for high school and elementary school students is being =
developed.  Currently available is a lesson plan "Nomads Lost", =
specifically about passenger pigeons, and "Where Have All the Predators =
Gone?" that deals with ecology

 6. Power point presentation on the passenger pigeon story and the three =
other elements of P3 are available on the web-site for your use or =
adaptation.

 7. Instructions for "Flight of the Passenger Pigeons", a program for =
students that includes the construction of origami passenger pigeons and =
them walking in a parade with their "birds" held aloft.

 8. A roster of musicians, dancers, and visual artists and their =
projects have been assembled for booking at interested venues.

 9. Two plays involving passenger pigeons will be available for =
performance- The Savage Passengers is an adult play currently available =
and A Pigeon's Tale is a children's play that should be available in =
early 2014.

  10. A.P. Heinrich's 19th-century symphony devoted to passenger pigeons =
has been transcribed for orchestra and the choral portion has been =
translated to English.

 We hope that one or more of these resources will facilitate your =
institution's involvement in the 2014 commemorations.  We invite you to =
submit whatever you do, no matter how small, for inclusion in our =
on-line calendar.  More details about all of these resources are =
available on our web-site and most are customizable to your venues' =
specific needs.  If we can help you in any way, please contact us at =
ProjectPassengerPigeon@gmail.com or Joel Greenberg at =
joelrgreenberg@gmail.com.

 Yours,
 Joel Greenberg (630-725-9416) and Steve Sullivan (708-937-6253) for the =
Project Passenger Pigeon  steering committee

------=_NextPart_000_0117_01CEF4C2.A3FBBD20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV>FYI</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Laurie Murison</DIV>
<DIV>Grand Manan, NB</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>------------------------------</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>Dear Sir/Madam,<BR><BR>&nbsp;As you may know, next year =
marks the=20
centenary of the passenger pigeon's extinction. This was the world's =
most=20
abundant bird and we wiped it out in decades. Project Passenger Pigeon =
(P3) is a=20
coalition of over 150 organizations in Canada and the United States that =
aims to=20
use this anniversary as a teaching moment to familiarize people with the =
story=20
of the bird and to use that story as a portal into consideration of =
current=20
issues related to extinction, the connections between nature and people, =
and the=20
need to create sustainable relations with other species.<BR><BR>&nbsp;We =
are=20
writing&nbsp; this letter to share with you the materials that are, or =
soon will=20
be, available that would facilitate your involvement. More information =
on all of=20
these can be found on our web-site at&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://passengerpigeon.org/">http://passengerpigeon.org/</A> and =

especially&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://passengerpigeon.org/everyoneinvolved.html">http://passenge=
rpigeon.org/everyoneinvolved.html</A>.<BR><BR>&nbsp;1.=20
Exhibit panels created by the University of Michigan's Museum of Natural =
History=20
can be downloaded from the website for printing by the interested venue. =
The=20
beautiful nine panel exhibit, entitled A Shadow Over the Earth, focuses =
on the=20
passenger pigeon, extinction, and how we can be better stewards of=20
bio-diversity. There will also be two blank panels so the exhibit can =
encompass=20
local issues or materials.<BR><BR>&nbsp;2. Two traveling exhibits will =
be=20
available: 1) Michigan State University Museum will create a 1,000 =
square foot=20
traveling exhibit dealing with passenger pigeons and extinction, and the =
2)=20
Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum (Wausau, WI) will be mounting an exhibit =
on the=20
passenger pigeon in the fall of 2014, and portions would be available to =
other=20
institutions.<BR><BR>&nbsp;3. A Feathered River Across the Sky: The =
Passenger=20
Pigeon's Flight to Extinction by Joel Greenberg (Bloomsbury USA), the =
first=20
major book on the bird in 50 years, will be published in January.&nbsp; =
Joel is=20
available for lectures and signings.<BR><BR>&nbsp;4. The documentary, =
From=20
Billions to None: The Passenger Pigeon's Flight to Extinction, will be =
available=20
in early spring 2014 for showing.<BR><BR>&nbsp;5. A curriculum for high =
school=20
and elementary school students is being developed.&nbsp; Currently =
available is=20
a lesson plan "Nomads Lost", specifically about passenger pigeons, and =
"Where=20
Have All the Predators Gone?" that deals with ecology<BR><BR>&nbsp;6. =
Power=20
point presentation on the passenger pigeon story and the three other =
elements of=20
P3 are available on the web-site for your use or =
adaptation.<BR><BR>&nbsp;7.=20
Instructions for "Flight of the Passenger Pigeons", a program for =
students that=20
includes the construction of origami passenger pigeons and them walking =
in a=20
parade with their "birds" held aloft.<BR><BR>&nbsp;8. A roster of =
musicians,=20
dancers, and visual artists and their projects have been assembled for =
booking=20
at interested venues.<BR><BR>&nbsp;9. Two plays involving passenger =
pigeons will=20
be available for performance- The Savage Passengers is an adult play =
currently=20
available and A Pigeon's Tale is a children's play that should be =
available in=20
early 2014.<BR><BR>&nbsp; 10. A.P. Heinrich's 19th-century symphony =
devoted to=20
passenger pigeons has been transcribed for orchestra and the choral =
portion has=20
been translated to English.<BR><BR>&nbsp;We hope that one or more of =
these=20
resources will facilitate your institution=92s involvement in the 2014=20
commemorations.&nbsp; We invite you to submit whatever you do, no matter =
how=20
small, for inclusion in our on-line calendar.&nbsp; More details about =
all of=20
these resources are available on our web-site and most are customizable =
to your=20
venues=92 specific needs.&nbsp; If we can help you in any way, please =
contact us=20
at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:ProjectPassengerPigeon@gmail.com">ProjectPassengerPigeon@g=
mail.com</A>=20
or Joel Greenberg at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:joelrgreenberg@gmail.com">joelrgreenberg@gmail.com</A>.<BR=
><BR>&nbsp;Yours,<BR>&nbsp;Joel=20
Greenberg (630-725-9416) and Steve Sullivan (708-937-6253) for the =
Project=20
Passenger Pigeon&nbsp; steering=20
committee<BR><BR>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0117_01CEF4C2.A3FBBD20--