Porous pavement: Re: [NatureNS] mourning doves among road salt

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:55:36 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve

&lt;META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DC
Quoting Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>:

> Hi Fred  and All
> Growing up on PEI, Huns Perdix perdix now called Gray Partridge
> were very plentiful. My Grandfather used to feed them in the winter and
> he would have up to100 birds. He would sweep the snow of a south
> facing porch and they would roost there on a sunny day. He kept a
> box of grit for them and they ate a susprising amount.
> Roads were neither plowed or salted and school was not too important
> in the winter. Then in the late 50s they built regional high schools with
> buses and all. The road were then plowed and salted. The Huns found
> the sand and salt a great source of grit. That was the end on the Huns.
> Road salt killed them all - same story all over PEI and since then there
> are very few. Only a scattered flock here and there.
> They were a fine bird - we had a few to eat in the fall but they multiplied
> so fast a few less made no difference.
>  Some things don't mix

* wow - maybe the increased paving of roads, so that they are salted,
contributed to the demise of the species in our area of eastern
Ontario - the last one in the database from around home is 1995. We've
always attributed this extinction to secondary succession making
fields brushy, but the two things happened simultaneously.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book
          http://pinicola.ca/books/SNR_book.htm