[NatureNS] re harriers & Snowy Owls - Hartlen Point

From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:44:27 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Paul, I have question regarding your harriers below -- you said one
was seen "hovering" -- I have never seen a harrier hover, but of
course hovering for hunting is frequently employed by both rough-
legged and red-tailed hawks -- Could your Devil's Island bird have
been a buteo and not a harrier?

Secondly, regarding your terrific shots of the snowy owls, the second
owl is definitely a first-year immature.  I can't be sure about your
first one, which is either an immature male or an adult female, in my
humble opinion (imho), based on a lot of ancient experience in Alberta.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.