[NatureNS] Urban Ring-necked Pheasant (belated report)

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 09:29:24 -0400
From: chris kennedy <cjkennedy66@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--047d7b873c32b64da704edbaea81

I can say that I've never observed or heard ring-neck pheasants in Point
Pleasant Park.

-Chris Kennedy

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM, P.L. Chalmers
<plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>wrote:

>  My next-door neighbour reported to me she had a fine male Ring-necked
> Pheasant in her back yard about a month ago. It was near a feeder where
> millet had spilled on the ground.  This is in central Halifax (half a block
> north of Quinpool Road) and unlikely pheasant habitat.  Not to mention all
> the cats on the prowl ...
>
> I know of only a few recent reports of Ring-necked Pheasants on Peninsula
> Halifax.  There have been a few sightings in yards backing onto the south
> end railway cut, which serves as a corridor for a lot of wildlife.  I
> recall one such onon Fairfield Avenue found on the Christmas Bird Count in
> 2009.  A couple were seen in the Seaview Park./ municipal leaf dump area on
> the 2011 CBC, which is somewhat more likely.  Perhaps they are also seen in
> Point Pleasant Park these days (i.e. since Hurricane Juan?)
>
> Patricia L. Chalmers
> Halifax

--047d7b873c32b64da704edbaea81

16, 2013 at 11:39 PM, P.L. Chalmers <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
My next-door neighbour reported to me she had a fine male Ring-necked
Pheasant in her back yard about a month ago. It was near a feeder where
millet had spilled on the ground.=A0  This is in central Halifax (half
a block north of Quinpool Road) and unlikely pheasant habitat.=A0 Not
to mention all the cats on the prowl ...<br><br>
I know of only a few recent reports of <font size=3D"3">Ring-necked Pheasan=
ts
on Peninsula Halifax.=A0 There have been a few sightings in yards
backing onto the south end railway cut, which serves as a corridor for a
lot of wildlife.=A0 I recall one such onon Fairfield Avenue found on
the Christmas Bird Count in 2009.=A0 A couple were seen in the Seaview
Park./ municipal leaf dump area on the 2011 CBC, which is somewhat more
likely.=A0 Perhaps they are also seen in Point Pleasant Park these
days (i.e. since Hurricane Juan?)<br><br>
Patricia L. Chalmers<br>
Halifax<br><br>

--047d7b873c32b64da704edbaea81--