[NatureNS] CBC birds near Conrads Beach

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:00:46 +0000

Hi all,

On Saturday's count, we dipped on the Eurasian Wigeons, Pine Warblers, and Purple Sandpipers that we'd hoped for, but still saw plenty that others might like to see:

- dark-phase Rough-legged Hawk near the surf shop just before Lawrencetown Beach; was near the road there all day

- 8 Sanderling, 6 Dunlin, 1 Glaucous Gull, 60 Snow Buntings, 12 Horned Larks, and an Ipswich Sparrow on Conrads Beach, the latter three spp all along the west part of the beach; the Glaucous Gull was a 2nd phase bird only seen near dawn (dog chased it off)

- a Snowy Owl west of the boardwalk at Conrads, there all day

- Belted Kingfisher (and an otter) near the parking lot, Conrads

- a Common Grackle along nearby sidestreets (sorry I didn't retrieve the exact location from the observer, Cindy Staicer)

Off the end of W Lawrencetown Road and/or off the west end of Conrad Beach was an unidentified seaduck, possibly a Harlequin; fog and swells prevented a positive i.d. (at least that's my excuse).

Cheers,
Andy Horn
Halifax