[NatureNS] seasonal greetings

Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 13:44:53 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Quoting Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>:

>   I really question whether myopia "is the result of youthfully
> staying indoors and paying too close attention to books." That is
> not the generally accepted view. This condition has a huge genetic
> component. Nor is myopia caused by reading in low light, in spite of
> having been admonished by our parents and grandparents to turn on
> the light lest we "ruin our eyes."

* I'd always understood that myopia is promoted by focusing on
close-by objects, without alternating with distant objects of
attention, as the eye is growing, so the fellow saying this on Quirks
and Quarks -
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/206671/the-story-of-the-human-body-by-daniel-lieberman - was no novelty to me, and this is the "close work" and "visual stimuli" hypotheses of wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopia#.E2.80.9CNear_work.E2.80.9D_or_.E2.80.9CClose_work.E2.80.9D_hypothesis - though this article seems to place less blame on these causes than Dr Lieberman did on
Q&Q.

I must say that his account of contemporary environmental dysfunction
didn't sound as novel to me as his publisher makes it out to be, so he
may have understated the genetic component in myopia  - but maybe
nobody is sufficiently out-of-doors anymore to serve as a control.

>   On the other hand, UV radiation, present in sunlight, is
> well-known as a cause of the most common type of cataracts.

* been there, done that - not nearly as myopic as I was now that I've
got plastic lenses.

cheers,

fred.