[NatureNS] Bats and Baltimores

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:13:30 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--047d7bacc428ac32b204ee98d0e5

DNRs 24 hour number is 1-800-565-2224. They want to know about active bats
in the winter and prob should be the first call. Id strongly advise against
handling bats, especially with bare hands as they can carry rabies.
On Dec 28, 2013 9:59 AM, "Eleanor Lindsay" <kelindsay@eastlink.ca> wrote:

>  Bats:
> On returning home after Christmas one message on my machine was from
> nearby neighbours in Glen Margaret saying they had found a live bat flying
> around inside their house - theycaught it, checked its nose and "since it
> was not white we released it outside". The bat has presumably perished by
> now, but this episode prompts me to ask what should be done in such a
> situation: we have been given information before on what to do with/about
> dead bats - but a reminder about this, plus info on what to do with live
> ones would be appreciated.....
>
> Baltimores:
> For the third winter in a row I have a Baltimore oriole (male) at my
> feeders; it had been seen very intermittently over the past few weeks, but
> started feeding regularly at my fat and seed feeders for four days before I
> went away; as I just had arranged for a neighbour to top up existing
> feeders daily, I did not attempt initiating more oriole-specific feeding
> until my return . On my return I find the oriole feeding well and holding
> his own very ably with the other birds. I am more than willing to initiate
> the mealworm routine with this bird, but over the past two years have
> become increasingly concerned/confused about the issue of their (surely
> necessary?) ultimate adaptation to a winter survival diet without human
> help - and to what degree we are helping or hindering this process by daily
> mealworm feeding throughout the winter. In light of this I am unclear how
> best to proceed:is it best to continue with fruit and daily mealworms as
> presently done or should these be offered intermittently - or ????
>
> Thoughts, comments and suggestions on both topics will be most welcome!
>
> Eleanor Lindsay
> Seabright, St Margarets Bay

--047d7bacc428ac32b204ee98d0e5

ut active bats in the winter and prob should be the first call. Id strongly=
 advise against handling bats, especially with bare hands as they can carry=
 rabies. </p>

uot; &lt;kelindsay@eastlink.ca=
&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

 =20
   =20
 =20
      On returning home after Christmas one message on my machine was
      from nearby neighbours in Glen Margaret saying they had found a
      live bat flying around inside their house - theycaught it, checked
      its nose and &quot;since it was not white we released it outside&quot=
;. The
      bat has presumably perished by now, but this episode prompts me to
      ask what should be done in such a situation: we have been given
      information before on what to do with/about dead bats - but a
      reminder about this, plus info on what to do with live ones would
      be appreciated.....<br>
      Baltimores:<br>
      For the third winter in a row I have a Baltimore oriole (male) at
      my feeders; it had been seen very intermittently over the past few
      weeks, but started feeding regularly at my fat and seed feeders
      for four days before I went away; </font><font size=3D"+1"><font size=
=3D"+1">as I just had arranged for a neighbour to top up
        existing feeders daily, </font>I did not attempt initiating
      more oriole-specific feeding until my return . On my return I find
      the oriole feeding well and holding his own very ably with the
      other birds. I am more than willing to initiate the mealworm
      routine with this bird, but over the past two years have become
      increasingly concerned/confused about the issue of their (surely
      necessary?) ultimate adaptation to a winter survival diet without
      human help - and to what degree we are helping or hindering this
      process by daily mealworm feeding throughout the winter. In light
      of this I am unclear how best to proceed:is it best to continue
      with fruit and daily mealworms as presently done or should these
      be offered intermittently - or ????<br>
      Thoughts, comments and suggestions on both topics will be most
      welcome!<br>
      Eleanor Lindsay<br>
      Seabright, St Margarets Bay<br>

--047d7bacc428ac32b204ee98d0e5--