[NatureNS] Hartlen Point birds today, including a male Tufted Duck in Eastern

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 17:32:10 +0000

Hi all,

There's a male Tufted Duck close to shore opposite Mobility Used Autos (near the Tim Hortons before Eastern Passage), discovered by an Ontario birder whose name might come back to me once my brain cells warm up again. He got some nice photos (and I got some awful ones).

At McCormack's Beach he also found a first cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull (and we might have seen a second cycle one flying off). There were two 1st or 2nd winter Glaucous Gulls off Hartlen Point, four Rough-legged Hawks over the golf course and nearby shore, plus another over the Shearwater air field, but the only Snowy Owl we found in either area was one on Devil's Island.

Cheers,
Andy Horn, with Duncan Rand
Halifax