[NatureNS] New Dog Park For Lunenburg

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 23:20:59 +0000

--_9b8491d0-c74e-4fa4-bf3c-cadae45bc179_

I'm not sure if everyone is aware of the location for the new to be Dog Par=
k in Lunenburg or not.  Lunenburg certainly did not do a good job in my opi=
nion for the choice of location.  I'm not against dog parks so please do no=
t send back any negative feedback on this posting.  I think they are great =
if adequately placed. =20
=20
=20
So the location is along the Back Harbour Trail by where the old police sta=
tion used to be.  They have cut down all of the deciduous trees alongside o=
f that stretch=2C which borders Starrs Road and a long ways along the edge =
of the trail.  It is awful looking.  This habitat was wetland based and pro=
vided a green belt for many nesting birds.  What is left is mounds with wet=
land like habitat in-between=2C huge holes as well in-between the mounds=2C=
 which will be filled in and leveled out.  I used to refer Birding visitors=
 to Lunenburg who wanted a close place to find many species nearby.  I will=
 no longer be able to send them there.  This Dog Park will likely impact ot=
her parts of the trail and birds that show up there.  Over the past few yea=
rs substantial other areas of the trail have been removed in regards to veg=
etation and areas have been filled in leaving no bird habitat behind.  Ther=
e was one great wetland area=2C which was a wonderful hold for birds and I =
found many rarities there during past Christmas bird counts.  The town fill=
ed this wetland in.  I'm not sure how they were able to get away with it=2C=
 but that's life and it happens everywhere with lax environmental controls.=
  In the winter the other section of the trail is great=2C but overall duri=
ng migration and the rest of the year the amount of bird life and variety o=
f species that I would normally see were just not there in 2013.  It could =
be the type of year that we had as this trend showed up in many locations a=
cross Nova Scotia.  It will be interesting to see how things change along t=
he trail over the next year and to do a comparison.  I know for a fact that=
 I used to see ring-necked pheasants regularly along the trail bordering th=
e area in-between the trail and the road. I've not seen or heard one there =
now in two years.  Not since they cut a large section out previously.  I kn=
ow that red-winged blackbirds=2C yellow warblers=2C common yellowthroats=2C=
 black and white warblers=2C northern parulas=2C magnolia warblers=2C chest=
nut-sided warblers=2C American redstarts=2C northern cardinals=2C American =
robins=2C both vireo species=2C gray catbirds=2C woodpeckers=2C and a numbe=
r of other bird species have breed in the past where the dog park is going =
to be.  These birds will likely be seen as few and far between in the futur=
e.  Where the red-winged blackbirds go is right next to the park=2C I predi=
ct that they will be absent from breeding there any longer.  I could be wro=
ng though.  Anyhow=2C nothing can be done about this any longer as things a=
re too far advanced to be able to change anything. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20
 		 	   		  =

--_9b8491d0-c74e-4fa4-bf3c-cadae45bc179_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
 everyone is aware of the location for the new to be Dog Park in Lunenburg =
or not.&nbsp=3B Lunenburg certainly did not do a good job in my opinion for=
 the choice of location.&nbsp=3B I'm not against dog parks so please do not=
 send back any negative feedback on this posting.&nbsp=3B I think they are =
great if adequately placed.&nbsp=3B </font><BR>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6"=
our Trail by where the old police station used to be.&nbsp=3B They have cut=
 down all of the deciduous trees alongside of that stretch=2C which borders=
 Starrs Road and a long ways along the edge of the trail.&nbsp=3B It is awf=
ul looking.&nbsp=3B This habitat was wetland based and provided a green bel=
t for many nesting birds.&nbsp=3B What is left is mounds with wetland like =
habitat in-between=2C huge holes as well in-between the mounds=2C which wil=
l be filled in and leveled out.&nbsp=3B I used to refer Birding visitors to=
 Lunenburg who wanted a close place to find many species nearby.&nbsp=3B I =
will no longer be able to send them there.&nbsp=3B This Dog Park will likel=
y impact other parts of the trail and birds that show up there.&nbsp=3B Ove=
r the past few years substantial other areas of the trail have been removed=
 in regards to vegetation and areas have been filled in leaving no bird hab=
itat behind.&nbsp=3B There was one great wetland area=2C which was a&nbsp=
=3Bwonderful hold for birds and I found many rarities there during past Chr=
istmas bird counts.&nbsp=3B The town filled this wetland in.&nbsp=3B I'm no=
t sure how they were able to get away with it=2C but that's life and it hap=
pens everywhere with lax environmental controls.&nbsp=3B In the winter the =
other section of the trail is great=2C but overall during migration and the=
 rest of the year the amount of bird life and variety of species that I wou=
ld normally see were just not there in 2013.&nbsp=3B It could be the type o=
f year that we had as this trend showed up in many locations across Nova Sc=
otia.&nbsp=3B It will be interesting to see how things change along the tra=
il over the next year and to do a comparison.&nbsp=3B I know for a fact tha=
t I used to see ring-necked pheasants regularly along the trail bordering t=
he area in-between the trail and the road. I've not seen or heard one there=
 now in two years.&nbsp=3B Not since they cut a large section out previousl=
y.&nbsp=3B I know that red-winged blackbirds=2C yellow warblers=2C common y=
ellowthroats=2C black and white warblers=2C northern parulas=2C magnolia wa=
rblers=2C chestnut-sided warblers=2C American redstarts=2C northern cardina=
ls=2C American robins=2C both vireo species=2C gray catbirds=2C woodpeckers=
=2C and a number of other bird species have breed in the past where the dog=
 park is going to be.&nbsp=3B These birds will likely be seen as few and fa=
r between in the future.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BWhere the red-winged blackbirds go =
is right next to the park=2C I predict that they will be absent from breedi=
ng there any longer.&nbsp=3B I could be wrong though.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C not=
hing can be done about this any longer as things are too far advanced to be=
 able to change anything.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B</font><BR>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=
=3D"6">James R. Hirtle</font><BR><font size=3D"6">Bridgewater</font><BR><fo=
nt size=3D"6">&nbsp=3B<br id=3D"FontBreak"></font><B