[NatureNS] crow roost question

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 07:58:44 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

A bunch of crows have established a roost during the last two weeks in some trees behind me (Bridgewater, nr Shipyard's Landing). This is the first time I have lived near a crow roost and they have a strange pattern of overnight calling. Silence for hours at a time after they have settled down at dusk and occasional eruptions of cawing during the night that last about an hour.

When I leave (usually around 5:30am) if they are not already in a cawing session they start. Is it a predator threat (me or something else making noise) that sets them off? Or do they just engage in periodic nighttime social chattering? Maybe both.

Nancy