[NatureNS] Woodpeckers

From: Mike McCall <frogmore@xcountry.tv>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:07:34 -0400
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca

A niger feeder hangs about six inches from my suet pie.

Hairies and Downies sometimes fly direct to the pie and begin hammering away.

But very often they alight on the niger tube, stare at it intently, circle around it,
continue to stare and eventually make the hop to the suet pie and tuck in.

My question(s) are

1) I know that both birds will eat seeds and some grain, but is the very small opening
in the niger feeder enough for them to get their long long tongues inside to pull out
a seed?

2) Does this behaviour have its roots in poor vision at close range? Given their of finding food,
principal means of feeding, I doubt it.

3) Or are they (a) cautious? or (b) a bit thick.

Mike McCall