[NatureNS] a potential black bear den ?

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 17:24:15 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00E4_01CF25BB.C1C8AD20

On Saturday, while snowshoeing off-trail deep in the middle of nowhere-- =
 actually deep within the Otter Ponds Demonstration Forest near =
Mooseland, HRM =E2=80=93 I stumbled on what just might have been a bear =
den. It was in an area of many fallen and uprooted trees, a =
snowshoer=E2=80=99s nightmare, surrounded by frozen bog. While passing =
by one clump of snow-covered nearly upside-down roots I noted a single =
air vent, just big enough for my arm to reach in. It=E2=80=99s rim was =
conspicuously crusted over, suggesting passage of warm and moist air.

I peeked inside the air vent but, blinded by the bright noon sunshine, =
saw nothing. And there was neither a flashlight nor a match to =
illuminate the situation. With slight trepidation I reached inside, but =
felt nothing. Just lots and lots of empty space. I heard nothing and =
there were no animal tracks whatsoever in the vicinity. I considered =
enlarging the air vent and taking a better look inside, but finally =
decided to leave the structure alone. So I will never know whether there =
was a bear inside....

Dusan Soudek
------=_NextPart_000_00E4_01CF25BB.C1C8AD20

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>On Saturday, while snowshoeing off-trail deep in the middle of=20
nowhere--&nbsp; actually deep within the Otter Ponds Demonstration =
Forest near=20
Mooseland, HRM =E2=80=93 I stumbled on what just might have been a bear =
den. It was in=20
an area of many fallen and uprooted trees, a snowshoer=E2=80=99s =
nightmare, surrounded=20
by frozen bog. While passing by one clump of snow-covered nearly =
upside-down=20
roots I noted a single air vent, just big enough for my arm to reach in. =
It=E2=80=99s=20
rim was conspicuously crusted over, suggesting passage of warm and moist =

air.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I peeked inside the air vent but, blinded by the bright noon =
sunshine, saw=20
nothing. And there was neither a flashlight nor a match to illuminate =
the=20
situation. With slight trepidation I reached inside, but felt nothing. =
Just lots=20
and lots of empty space. I heard nothing and there were no animal tracks =

whatsoever in the vicinity. I considered enlarging the air vent and =
taking a=20
better look inside, but finally decided to leave the structure alone. So =
I will=20
never know whether there was a bear inside....</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dusan Soudek</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00E4_01CF25BB.C1C8AD20--