[NatureNS] Turkey Vulture

From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 15:19:29 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

          but in the
--001a11c25dea8b5b3104f262b057

Yes, any animal. Digestion requires fluid..and if they are teetering on the
edge of circulatory collapse, food can do them in. Also, being in advanced
emaciation also strips the gastrointestinal tract of any functional
absorptive tissue so even if they can pass the food, it usually comes out
the other end largely undigested and smelling AWFUL. We monitor feces to
decide when to ramp them up to the next stage. If what comes out the other
end looks like normal-ish feces for the food fed, we move up to more
complex items for digestion. There's a real science to it. We've gotten
birds that have lost 30-50% of their body weight..the thinner they are the
harder they are to save and the more gradually we need to refeed them. The
last snowy we got ( died in less than an hour), was just under 900g. The
low weight for adults is about 1600 g so he was in hard shape..no muscle at
all and covered in lice( another sign they've been down and out for a
while).

Helene

Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
RR#1 Brookfield NS B0N1C0
902-893-0253
birdvet@hotmail.com
www.cwrc.net
Find us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cobequid-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Centre/134671693239334>
and
Twitter <https://twitter.com/CobequiWildlife>

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Shouty McShoutsalot <
desolatechair@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking this might apply to other animals as well?
>

> On 14 February 2014 12:14, Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Anytime, I first hesitated before typing it all out as I didn't want to
>> contradict previously given advice..but I had to let people know.  I've
>> often gotten starved birds that were unknowingly fed by well meaning
>> people. I just want people to know and if in doubt...call me :)
>> Helene
>>
>> Helene Van Doninck DVM
>> Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
>> On Feb 14, 2014 10:21 AM, "Shouty McShoutsalot" <desolatechair@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Helene this is great information for everyone, thanks for sharing.  I
>>> for one was certainly not aware of this.
>>>
>>> And I agree it's been a brutal winter for birds.  I can tell numbers of
>>> raptors I normally see in my area of the eastern valley are way down, I
>>> think mostly due to cold temperatures and heavy snow cover protecting
>>> rodent prey.
>>>

>>> Jamie Simpson
>>> Hantsport, NS
>>>

> --
> Jamie Simpson
> Hantsport, NS

--001a11c25dea8b5b3104f262b057

y are teetering on the edge of circulatory collapse, food can do them in. A=
lso, being in advanced emaciation also strips the gastrointestinal tract of=
 any functional absorptive tissue so even if they can pass the food, it usu=
ally comes out the other end largely undigested and smelling AWFUL. We moni=
tor feces to decide when to ramp them up to the next stage. If what comes o=
ut the other end looks like normal-ish feces for the food fed, we move up t=
o more complex items for digestion. There&#39;s a real science to it. We&#3=
9;ve gotten birds that have lost 30-50% of their body weight..the thinner t=
hey are the harder they are to save and the more gradually we need to refee=
d them. The last snowy we got ( died in less than an hour), was just under =
900g. The low weight for adults is about 1600 g so he was in hard shape..no=
 muscle at all and covered in lice( another sign they&#39;ve been down and =
out for a while). <br>

Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<br>RR#1 Brookfield NS B0N1C0<br>902-893-0253=

m</a><br>www.cwrc.net=
dlife-Rehabilitation-Centre/134671693239334" target=3D"_blank">Facebook</a>=
=A0and <a href=3D"https://twitter.com/CobequiWildlife" target=3D"_blank">Tw=
itter</a></div>

McShoutsalot <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:desolatechair@gmail.co=
kquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #cc=
c solid;padding-left:1ex">

=3D"gmail_quote">On 14 February 2014 12:14, Helene Van Doninck <span dir=3D=
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:helene.birdvet@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">hel=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><p dir=3D"ltr">Anytime, I first hesitated be=
fore typing it all out as I didn&#39;t want to contradict previously given =
advice..but I had to let people know.=A0 I&#39;ve often gotten starved bird=
s that were unknowingly fed by well meaning people. I just want people to k=

Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre</p>
Shouty McShoutsalot&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:desolatechair@gmail.com" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">desolatechair@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attributi=
on">

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
nd I agree it&#39;s been a brutal winter for bir