[NatureNS] Wooly Bear

Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 09:15:28 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a1136dfc66562ea04f271b723

We've got several tucked into corners in our eagle flight pen..waiting to
see what the outcome will be for them this spring though not hopeful as
they aren't covered.  Also confessing I don't know much about insect
overwintering :)
Helene

Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
On Feb 15, 2014 8:43 AM, "Eleanor Lindsay" <kelindsay@eastlink.ca> wrote:

>  While walking along my local dirt road yesterday I was very surprised to
> see a wooly bear caterpillar in the middle of the road; on picking it up,
> it promptly curled into a ball. Not quite sure what the best thing to do
> with it was, I put it in some leafy debris in a dense relatively wind
> protected part of the road alongside where I found it. I know they survive
> overwintering, but do they survive waking up in midwinter as this one did,
> presumably due to the ridiculously warm day we had the day before?
>
> Eleanor Lindsay
> St Margarets Bay

--001a1136dfc66562ea04f271b723

t pen..waiting to see what the outcome will be for them this spring though =
not hopeful as they aren&#39;t covered.=A0 Also confessing I don&#39;t know=
 much about insect overwintering :)<br>

Helene</p>
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre</p>
uot; &lt;kelindsay@eastlink.ca=
&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

 =20
   =20
 =20
t>
    I was very surprised to see a wooly bear caterpillar in the middle
    of the road; on picking it up, it promptly curled into a ball. Not
    quite sure what the best thing to do with it was, I put it in some
    leafy debris in a dense relatively wind protected part of the road
    alongside where I found it. I know they survive overwintering, but
    do they survive waking up in midwinter as this one did, presumably
    due to the ridiculously warm day we had the day before?<br>
    Eleanor Lindsay<br>
    St Margarets Bay<br>

--001a1136dfc66562ea04f271b723--