[NatureNS] House Sparrows

From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:28:07 -0500

That's an interesting question Nancy. The short answer is that Nova Scotia House Sparrows are not migratory in that they don't head south to the USA or Central and South America.

The longer answer is that like a number of species in Nova Scotia, House Sparrows usually leave their individual breeding territories and congregate in winter feeding groups. Sometimes this is one feeder but usually it is an area with a number of sources, perhaps a couple of bird feeders, perhaps one or more farms with animals, perhaps combinations of various food sources. If there are multiple sources they often move around between them. However at some point they will move back to the breeding areas and begin to break up into pairs. As James has observed, it sounds like this is the start of things.

All the best,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario