[NatureNS] raccoon

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:11:22 -0400

On mild evenings we have had visits from a small raccoon. It climbs up on
the feeder in the grape vine and cleans up. We do try to remember to bring
in anything it could be attracted to but it did find the seed cake one
evening quite early while we were out. It settles in and sometimes when
checked at 3 or 4 am, it will be curled up on the platform feeder. Last
night we forgot, or thought it was too cold for it to come through so it
found the seedcake. Steve startled it, or it him, when he went out before
daylight (about 6 am) to put out the feed. It climbed up onto the grapevine
and settled into the branches tight against the leaders (very tops) of the
shelter trees we put under the vine for protection though the winter. It is
still there. It is aware of us and is cautiously watching us and most
definitely aware of every sound. Its ears are certainly tracking us. Eyes
seem clear but fearful. It is dry there unless we get rain. Even warm when
the sun comes out. To me it looks quite thin. I don't want to encourage it
to stay about. but I don't want it to starve. DNR will just either kill it
or move it to a new location, not a good thing at this time of the year
particularly. We wondered about a den nearby but we haven't found it.  What
to do. There are two dogs in each house either side of us. Potential
trouble.
Sun is coming out now.

http://MargMillard.ca