[NatureNS] Surviving Snowy Owls - What Next?

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:43:15 -0300
From: Shouty McShoutsalot <desolatechair@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1134ad4e59c61f04f4541084

My understanding is that irruption and migration are two very different
behaviors, and that irruption is a diaspora - the animal leaves because it
is forced to, with no predefined destination as exists in a migration, and
thus no instinct to return to it's point of origin.

--
Jamie Simpson
Hantsport, NS

--001a1134ad4e59c61f04f4541084

ery different behaviors, and that irruption is a diaspora - the animal leav=
es because it is forced to, with no predefined destination as exists in a m=
igration, and thus no instinct to return to it&#39;s point of origin.</div>
014 14:24, Paul Ruggles <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cpruggles@e=
astlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">cpruggles@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<b=
r><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:=
1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Jamie,<br>
I have been videoing two snowys for over a month at Lawrencetown beach. The=
y seem to have moved away in the past 2 weeks. I thought they might have be=
gun their migration back to the tundra? Have any of you seen any lately?<br=

On 2014-03-10, at 11:30 AM, Shouty McShoutsalot wrote:<br>
&gt; My understanding is that there are surviving overwintered Snowy Owls i=
n NS from the irruption of Dec 2013; =A0that these birds are not migratory =
in the normal sense; that an irruption is not a predictable, repeatable mig=
ratory event; and that, having survived a winter that I believe was fatal t=
o a higher than normal percentage of our resident bird predators, the survi=
ving Snowys have proven adaptive and survival skills in NS.<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; So I&#39;m wondering what becomes of these birds. =A0Will they become =
residents like our other Owl species, perhaps establishing territory and re=
producing? =A0Will they return from whence they came even if they are not p=
ossessed of migratory instinct? Or are they doomed to wander in exile alone=
 forever?<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; Regards<br>
&gt;<br>