[NatureNS] re Surviving Snowy Owls - What Next?

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:30:46 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&lt;div&gt;The project has tagged snowy owls from Minnesota to Massachusetts w
--089e0149c506c9c60c04f458150c

hi folks,

The question of the relationship between plumage colour and survivability
in the South (and North) is interesting...
Although sometimes they are difficult to see in snow-covered environments,
behaviourally, they are not that cryptic...using mounds, telephone poles,
roof tops. A recent paper (IBIS, 2011, which, disclaimer, I haven't read)
suggests that darker plumage is almost always absent from the most
conspicuous areas of the body (face, throat, breast - although, those could
be hidden quite easily with posture adjustments), perhaps suggesting a role
of plumage colour in sexual signalling too...

To build on Andy's ideas, eBird also now allows users to search for
checklists containing images or videos and there is a wealth of Snowy data
up there...any patterns in the plumage of birds by latitude, snow cover,
date? (there are issues of differences in detectability of these owls
related to plumage patterns and snow cover too that would have to be
faced...)

cheers,
James.