[NatureNS] Nesting Common Ravens Status in NS

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:19:50 -0300
From: David McCorquodale <dbmcc09@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1133a7749f80a804f4698792

There are several Common Raven nests in the Sydney area each year that are
in high traffic areas.  For years there was a nest on the recently
demolished Sydney River Bridge.  They moved more than ten years ago to a
nearby road overpass.  For many years Simon Gillis has reported on a raven
nest in Whitney Pier.  For a few years there was a nest in a big White
Poplar, just off Prince St. in a very busy commercial district of Sydney.
Neighbouring towns such as Glace Bay and North Sydney also have nesting
ravens.

The Maritimes Breeding Bird Atlas shows confirmed nesting in most urban
areas of NS.  I will second Ken's suggestion to read Tufts on ravens (or
any other bird in NS).

DBMcC

David McCorquodale
Georges River, NS

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Ken McKenna
> Box 218 Stellarton NS
> B0K 1S0
> 902 752-7644
> Hi Jamie
> I am no expert on Common Raven nesting, but have seen several nests in the
> past and now is about right for Ravens to be on nests. I have heard young
> birds calling from nests while scouting owl route roads for drivability for
> owl surveys in mid-April.
> By the way I counted about *280* Ravens in the vicinity of the Bayview
> area near Pictou on Feb 17. I think it was the most Ravens I ever saw in
> one place. There were only 50 Eagles there at the time, but at times counts
> of 100+ are not unusual. Iceland Gulls seem common here as well at times
> with counts of over 100. Great Black-backed Gulls are also common but for
> some reason, I have only seen handfuls or less of Herring Gulls. Amazing
> what cattle innards will attract.
> Good write-up in Tuft's Birds of Nova Scotia on Common Ravens.
>
> cheers
> Ken

rea each
year that are in high traffic areas.&nbsp; For
years there was a nest on the recently demolished Sydney River Bridge.&nbsp=
; They moved more than ten years ago to a
nearby road overpass.&nbsp; For many years Simon
Gillis has reported on a raven nest in Whitney Pier.&nbsp; For a few years =
there was a nest in a big
White Poplar, just off Prince St. in a very busy commercial district of Syd=
ney.&nbsp; Neighbouring towns such as Glace Bay and
North Sydney also have nesting ravens. </p>

sting in
most urban areas of NS.&nbsp; I will second
Ken&rsquo;s suggestion to read Tufts on ravens (or any other bird in NS).</=
p>

Kenna <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kenmcken@eastlink.ca" target=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex">
<u></u>

20752-7644" value=3D"+19027527644" target=3D"_blank">902 752-7644</a><br></=
div>
=20
seen several nests in the past and now is about right for Ravens to be on n=
ests.=20
I have heard young birds calling from nests while scouting owl route roads =
for=20
drivability for owl surveys in mid-April. </font></div>
=20
Ravens in the vicinity of the Bayview area near Pictou on Feb 17. I think i=
t was=20
the most Ravens I ever saw in one place. There were only 50 Eagles there at=
 the=20
time,&nbsp;but at times counts of 100+ are not unusual. Iceland Gulls seem=
=20
common here as well at times with counts of over 100. Great Black-backed Gu=
lls=20
are also common but for some reason, I have only seen handfuls or less of=
=20
Herring Gulls. Amazing what cattle innards will attract. </font></div>
on=20
Common Ravens. </font></div>
-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px" dir=3D"ltr">
  <a title=3D"desolatechair@gmail.com" href=3D"mailto:desolatechair@gmail.c=
om" target=3D"_blank">Shouty=20
  McShoutsalot</a> </div>
s.ca" href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens</a=