[NatureNS] re Nesting & Flocking Ravens Status in NS

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 16:24:32 -0300

--Apple-Mail-10--180355054
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

> Subject: [ValleyNature] re Nesting & Flocking Common Ravens Status =20
> in NS
>
> I have a few quick comments on ravens from the notes below:
>
> (1) I think Ken's report of hearing young ravens in mid-April is =20
> too early -- the earliest date I recall for that in the tropical =20
> Annapolis Valley was about May 11, many years ago, on the Acadia =20
> Univ. campus.
> (2) Reports of large numbers of ravens together in loose flocks, a =20
> common phenomenon at certain times of year at Grand Pre and west of =20=

> Canning, are very probably all juvenile to yearling ravens, too =20
> young to be reproducing but quite possibly already paired up via =20
> their entertaining courtship activities, especially aerially.  =20
> Check out Bernd Heinrich's two books on ravens for some very =20
> interesting reading.
> (3) All across Canada the raven has changed from being a symbol of =20
> real wilderness and has become much more commonnear and inside =20
> towns, as well as choosing nest-sites right in towns and not just =20
> in trees but in/on human-made structures like barns, bridges, etc.  =20=

> Of course, here in Nova Scotia, especially the Valley, we have been =20=

> used to ravens close to communities for several decades.
>
> Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Shouty McShoutsalot <desolatechair@gmail.com>
>> Date: March 12, 2014 12:18:42 PM ADT
>> To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Nesting Common Ravens Status in NS
>>
>> Randy that's what I saw Monday as well, that clued me into the =20
>> nest location.
>>

>> On 12 March 2014 11:39, Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Interesting timing for this thread; I had a raven fly over my very =20=

>> rural home this morning with a stick in its beak.
>>
>> Randy
>>
>> _________________________________
>> RF Lauff
>> Way in the boonies of
>> Antigonish County, NS.
>>

>> On 12 March 2014 11:19, David McCorquodale <dbmcc09@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are several Common Raven nests in the Sydney area each year =20
>> that are in high traffic areas.  For years there was a nest on the =20=

>> recently demolished Sydney River Bridge.  They moved more than ten =20=

>> years ago to a nearby road overpass.  For many years Simon Gillis =20
>> has reported on a raven nest in Whitney Pier.  For a few years =20
>> there was a nest in a big White Poplar, just off Prince St. in a =20
>> very busy commercial district of Sydney.  Neighbouring towns such =20
>> as Glace Bay and North Sydney also have nesting ravens.
>>

>> The Maritimes Breeding Bird Atlas shows confirmed nesting in most =20
>> urban areas of NS.  I will second Ken=92s suggestion to read Tufts =20=

>> on ravens (or any other bird in NS).
>>

>> DBMcC
>>

>> David McCorquodale
>> Georges River, NS

> [...]

--Apple-Mail-10--180355054

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><br><div><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica"><b>[ValleyNature] re Nesting &amp; =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "><br></div>  I have a few quick =
Ken's report of hearing young ravens in mid-April is too early -- the =
earliest date I recall for that in the tropical Annapolis Valley was =
about May 11, many years ago, on the Acadia Univ. campus.</div><div>(2) =
Reports of large numbers of ravens together in loose flocks, a common =
phenomenon at certain times o