[NatureNS] Loons

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 18:31:47 -0300

HI Paul:  Yes, we've observed "foot waggling" on Keji lakes.  I can recall
some concerns expressed over this behaviour a few years back, since we'd had
some leg banding activity as part of a research project.  However, it is a
normal behaviour (not an agitation over the wearing of a band).  I'd love to
know why they do it.  My impression is that some individuals do it more than
others.  Meanwhile, it's somewhat handy for identifying their leg bands.  So
much we can learn...

LoonWatch is coming up in May (Keji's "free day" for LoonWatch for
volunteers).  Come along and look for "wagglers"!

Donna