[NatureNS] eBird in Nova Scotia

From: Denis Lepage <dlepage@bsc-eoc.org>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>, Dick Cannings <dickcannings@shaw.ca>,
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 18:24:08 -0400

--_000_8569CDF170E39342B09787C14697DF4C26D0E999bsc2008bsceocor_

Hello all,

Having been alerted to this thread, I thought I'd jump in the discussion on=
 eBird. For the many of you who may not know me, I'm one of the eBird Canad=
a leaders, mostly working behind the scenes. I've also been heavily involve=
d in the Maritimes Breeding Bird Atlas (data and web site manager, among ma=
ny other things), and I manage the data center at Bird Studies Canada.

I do completely agree with what several have said that eBird does require a=
 little bit of commitment. It did take me a while early on to break my old =
habits of how I would keep records of my own sightings, but it has now beco=
me second nature. I also fully understand that if a majority of people are =
using a given tool, making a transition to something else faces a lot of in=
ertia, but the value of eBird really increases dramatically once you reach =
a certain level of participation.

There are many benefits to using eBird, undoubtedly. For your own sake (mai=
ntaining records of what you see), but also as a benefit to conservation. e=
Bird has arguably become the largest bird biodiversity database in the worl=
d. We've just exceeded 150 million occurrence records, and something like 1=
2 million hours of field work. To put things in perspective, the largest Ma=
ritimes bird project ever, the second Breeding Bird Atlas, has generated 13=
0,000 point count records and 273,000 breeding evidence records, over the c=
ourse of 5 intensive year of surveys. This is a lot, and the atlas serves a=
 different and complementary purpose to eBird, but it is already slightly l=
ess than what has been submitted to eBird in the 3 Maritimes provinces so f=
ar (600,000). Just to give you a one example of the incredible power of the=
se observations when they are combined, I invite you to look at the followi=
ng animated maps (called STEM maps): http://ebird.org/content/ebird/occurre=
nce/. Cornell is currently in the process of creating these maps for the Am=
ericas for release at a later point, but there are obviously several gaps i=
n regions where eBird participation remains low, including in many places i=
n Canada.

As a person involved in eBird Canada, I'd certainly love to see it grow fur=
ther in Nova Scotia, but even more so as a user. eBird is an incredible sou=
rce of information for birders. The more observations we have, the better w=
e know about things like relative abundance, phenology, vagrancy patterns, =
etc.

Tracking rare birds is obviously what started this thread. I should point o=
ut that you can subscribe to email alerts in eBird, and automatically be in=
formed as soon as rare bird sightings (or birds that you still haven't seen=
 in your area) are submitted. The alerts can also be embedded into other to=
ols, similarly to what I have done with my Birds of Qu=E9bec site: http://w=
ww.oiseauxqc.org/english.jsp, or using a tool like BirdTrax: http://ebird.o=
rg/content/ebird/news/birdtrax_20131101/. While I realize that Facebook is =
a good platform to quickly get the message out about rare birds, it also of=
fers little opportunity for record keeping in the long term, contrary to eB=
ird. And this is not to say that these are mutually exclusive approaches.

I think that Andy's suggestion to create an account for posting only rare r=
ecords on eBird is a reasonable approach, and this has been done in other r=
egions to help populate eBird with historical records or in countries where=
 uptake has been slower.

Finally, for those of you who are interested, if you did point counts durin=
g the atlas, it is possible to retrieve those records from this site: http:=
//www.birdscanada.org/birdmon/default/ebird_export.jsp and upload them into=
 your own eBird account. There are instructions available for how to upload=
 your file if you follow the link on the page. I have been working on a new=
 interface that will eventually simplify this process for people who also p=
articipate in Citizen science projects managed by Bird Studies Canada, but =
it won't be ready for another little while. Because breeding evidence recor=
ds often have not been associated with a precise date, I am currently not p=
roviding these records for eBird upload. For those who are really keen howe=
ver, I can provide a file with all your individual sightings from the atlas=
, from which you would have to figure out a date.

Anyway, this is not to say that everyone must use eBird, but this is just m=
y plea for getting more people excited about it. For those willing, you'll =
probably find quickly that you can get at least as much out of it than you =
need to put it, and probably a whole lot more.

All the best, and happy spring, for when it finally arrives!!

Denis Lepage

Denis Lepage dlepage@bsc-eoc.org
Senior Scientist, National Data Center
Bird Studies Canada
PO Box 160, Port Rowan, ON N0E 1M0
519-586-3531 x155

visit Avibase: http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org
eBird Canada http://ebird.ca/

--_000_8569CDF170E39342B09787C14697DF4C26D0E999bsc2008bsceocor_

osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=
=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Micr=
osoft Word 12 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:"Courier New";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml