[NatureNS] Birding Observations and Records (a longish rant, and

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 21:53:52 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c36b0ebe407304f5b44166

Hi,

The nature of electronic communications changes very quickly. Stuff that I
can hardly understand is being routinely used by my 5 year old
granddaughter. Who knows if any of the web sites listed here will still
exist in 10, or 20 years. Will there still even be websites? Or will we do,
say, virtual reading in  the "cloud" with Google glasses or their progeny,
and communicate our information to others by some yet to be invented
technology? Will the existing moderators and web masters still exist. Is
EBird "too big to fail (like Citigroup and Lehman Brothers, which of course
did fail)? Will technology still be able to read jpegs?

Even using my Mac computer, and Android smart phone, both of which I pride
myself on fully understanding, trying to get things to work the way they're
supposed to sometimes feels like the early days of motoring would have been
like - sometimes things start, sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't,
at least without a lot of fiddling and tweaking. Facebook, Google, Flickr
etc. all seem to change the way they work - and not always for the better -
every few months.

I hate to seem old fashioned, but I suspect that that it's quite possible
that in 10+ years the safest way to bypass electronic snooping,
non-existence of privacy, stealing data, hacking, internet terrorism,
power failures, trying to remember passwords etc.and the inability of
people to articulate properly, will be an indestructible form of the
printed word. E.g. the print version of NS Birds, and lately I have taken
to ordering high quality prints of my favorite photos from Smugmug. What
happens to researching the internet when a winter storm causes the power to
go out for 2 days? What happens to data if a terrorist zaps the information
stored in Google's cloud servers (apparently not impossible)? Historians
have relied on written letters and books over the ages. How will they get
their information in the age of tweets, texts and e-mails with a life of a
few minutes or days?

Having said that, though, I have very much embraced current technology. My
medical office is now almost paperless. There are many wonderful ways to
search  and use data on all the internet sites we're talking about. I used
to use a photo hosting web site called Pbase, and my photos are still there
and search-able 11 years later. I use all the e-mail, forum and web sites
mentioned in Rick and Eric's posts, and many more, for my profession,
leisure and hobbies. My wife will tell you that I spend far too much time
on the computer! We live in very exciting and rapidly changing times, but I
think we already have to assume that nothing on the internet is private,
permanent or totally secure, and while I feel that Rick's question is a
very appropriate one, I don't see how we can guess at the correct answer at
this time.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--001a11c36b0ebe407304f5b44166

ommunications changes very quickly. Stuff that I can hardly understand is b=
eing routinely used by my 5 year old granddaughter. Who knows if any of the=
 web sites listed here will still exist in 10, or 20 years. Will there stil=
l even be websites? Or will we do, say, virtual reading in=A0 the &quot;clo=
ud&quot; with Google glasses or their progeny, and communicate our informat=
ion to others by some yet to be invented technology? Will the existing mode=
rators and web masters still exist. Is EBird &quot;too big to fail (like Ci=
tigroup and Lehman Brothers, which of course did fail)? Will technology sti=
ll be able to read jpegs?<br>

 which I pride myself on fully understanding, trying to get things to work =
the way they&#39;re supposed to sometimes feels like the early days of moto=
ring would have been like - sometimes things start, sometimes they work. So=
metimes they don&#39;t, at least without a lot of fiddling and tweaking. Fa=
cebook, Google, Flickr etc. all seem to change the way they work - and not =
always for the better - every few months.<br>

it&#39;s quite possible that in 10+ years the safest way to bypass electron=
ic snooping, non-existence of privacy, stealing data, hacking, internet ter=
rorism,=A0 power failures, trying to remember passwords etc.and the inabili=
ty of people to articulate properly, will be an indestructible form of the =
printed word. E.g. the print version of NS Birds, and lately I have taken t=
o ordering high quality prints of my favorite photos from Smugmug. What hap=
pens to researching the internet when a winter storm causes the power to go=
 out for 2 days? What happens to data if a terrorist zaps the information s=
tored in Google&#39;s cloud servers (apparently not impossible)? Historians=
 have relied on written letters and books over the ages. How will they get =
their information in the age of tweets, texts and e-mails with a life of a =
few minutes or days?<br>

technology. My medical office is now almost paperless. There are many wonde=
rful ways to search=A0 and use data on all the internet sites we&#39;re tal=
king about. I used to use a photo hosting web site called Pbase, and my pho=
tos are still there and search-able 11 years later. I use all the e-mail, f=
orum and web sites mentioned in Rick and Eric&#39;s posts, and many more, f=
or my profession, leisure and hobbies. My wife will tell you that I spend f=
ar too much time on the computer! We live in very exciting and rapidly chan=
ging times, but I think we already have to assume that nothing on the inter=
net is private, permanent or totally secure, and while I feel that Rick&#39=
;s question is a very appropriate one, I don&#39;t see how we can guess at =
the correct answer at this time.<br>

, Eric Mills <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:E.Mills@dal.ca" target=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

th:100%;font-family:Calibri,&#39;Slate Pro&#39;,sans-serif">
And by &quot;NS sites&quot; I mean NS- RBA and NatureNS.</div><div class=3D=
"">
th:100%;font-family:Calibri,&#39;Slate Pro&#39;,sans-serif">
th:100%;font-family:Calibri,&#39;Slate Pro&#39;,sans-serif">
Eric</div>
th:100%;font-family:Calibri,&#39;Slate Pro&#39;,sans-serif">
t-family:Calibri,&#39;Slate Pro&#39;,sans-serif">
Eric L. Mills <br>
Lower Rose Bay<br>
Lunenburg Co., Nova Scotia <br>
Canada</div>
<tbody>
);border-top-width:1pt;padding:3pt 0in 0in;font-family:Tahoma,&#39;BB Alpha=
 Sans&#39;,&#39;Slate Pro&#39;;font-size:10pt">
_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a></div>
</tbody>
e:initial;border-style:solid none none;border-top-width:1pt">
nderstanding, background, respect or connection to Science, the question be=
comes:</div>
o which of the above will be available ten years from now ?=A0</div>
Rick Whitman<br>

chard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichar=
d@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>##############=
#####

--001a11c36b0ebe407304f5b44166--