[NatureNS] gray jay and house sparrows

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 18:08:51 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Today at the end of Corkums Island, Lun Co I saw a Gray Jay and 5 House Sparrows. Not especially exciting birds but I had not seen either at this location before.

The Gray Jay was being scolded by 3 Blue Jays in some spruce trees off the deck. It returned equally harsh calls which continued after the BJs left. Then it too flew off into the woods. I had encountered Gray Jays regularly in winter behind my home in nearby Riverport 15 or so years ago but had never seen them here.

The House Sparrows were on a gravelled road shoulder at the end of the Island (no snow covering the ground here). Not seen before by me at this location and did not appear to be around when I returned. Perhaps en route to a more suitable nesting area?

Nancy