[NatureNS] Fw: Northern Saw-whet Owl and Many Others

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 20:37:13 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01CF5433.7D57B900

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Hans Toom=20
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 8:36 PM
Subject: Northern Saw-whet Owl and Many Others

Last Sunday Laura did our walkabout at the Frog Pond, Sir Sanford =
Fleming Park, and found a Pileated Woodpecker, the first we've seen in =
this park in 14 years. I managed some photos, mostly belly shots, of =
this big carpenter.=20

On Monday after returning from Duncan Reef I ran into the dynamic duo of =
Fulton Lavender and Richard Hatch. They reported that the Brown Thrasher =
was still present in the village and also that a female Eastern Towhee =
was calling from the mutltiflora bramble at the north end of Roach's =
Pond, Spryfield. I tried and failed to find either of these two birds.

This evening Laura and I walked Sandy Cove Road, HRM, and heard a =
Northern Saw-whet Owl calling vigorously from the forest. I returned =
Laura to our home and picked up my camera and returned to the site. =
Eventually I obtained some photos but when I started shooting at ISO =
6400 and dead slow shutter speeds I knew it was time to quit, but I'll =
try again tomorrow, but better equipped and in good morning light.

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01CF5433.7D57B900

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dhtoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans =
Toom</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3DNS-RBA@yahoogroups.com=20
href=3D"mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, April 09, 2014 8:36 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Northern Saw-whet Owl and Many Others</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Last Sunday Laura did our walkabout at =
the Frog=20
Pond, Sir Sanford Fleming Park, and found a <STRONG>Pileated=20
Woodpecker</STRONG>, the first we've seen in this park in 14 =
years.&nbsp;I=20
managed some photos, mostly belly shots, of this big=20
carpenter.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>On Monday after returning from Duncan =
Reef I ran=20
into the dynamic duo of Fulton Lavender and Richard Hatch. They reported =
that=20
the <STRONG>Brown Thrasher</STRONG> was still present in the village and =

</FONT><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>also that a female <STRONG>Eastern=20
Towhee</STRONG> was calling from the&nbsp;mutltiflora bramble at the =
north end=20
of Roach's Pond, Spryfield. I tried and failed to find either of these =
two=20
birds.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>This evening Laura and I walked Sandy =
Cove Road,=20
HRM, and heard a <STRONG>Northern Saw-whet Owl</STRONG> calling =
vigorously from=20
the forest. I returned Laura to our home and picked up my camera and =
returned to=20
the site. Eventually I obtained some photos but when I started shooting =
at ISO=20
6400 and dead slow shutter speeds I knew it was time to quit, but I'll =
try again=20
tomorrow, but&nbsp;better equipped and in good morning =
light.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A><BR></FONT>=
</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01CF5433.7D57B900--