[NatureNS] Fw: Snowy Owl and Fog

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:28:07 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01CF5895.644EA200

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Hans Toom=20
To: NS-RBA=20
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:27 AM
Subject: Snowy Owl and Fog

I took a trip up the eastern shore yesterday as far as Dyke Road, East =
Chezzetcook, and back to Lawrencetown Marshes, Rainbow Heaven Provincial =
Park, Cow Bay and Hartlen Point. The morning started with drizzle but =
soon the fog rolled in and continued to get worse during the morning. I =
saw several Great Blue Herons and Canada Geese however the fog degraded =
the images so much that they were useless.

The only success I had was a Snowy Owl at Lawrencetown Beach. It seemed =
oblivious to me but I kept my distance nonetheless. Continued =
examination of their diet would be interesting. So far gulls, small =
rodents and even a Ring-necked Pheasant have been confirmed though I =
suspect snow shoe hares, squirrels and other small mammals would be fair =
game.

The Snowy Owl is the heaviest by far and consequently the strongest of =
all our owls. When in Manitoba I was told that the Snowy Owl even preyed =
on the Great Grey Owl, a larger prey than itself, although much lighter =
in weight. I cannot confirm this of course.

Photos here: http://www.hanstoom.com/blog

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01CF5895.644EA200

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dhtoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans =
Toom</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3DNS-RBA@yahoogroups.com=20
href=3D"mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:27 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Snowy Owl and Fog</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<P>I took a trip up the eastern shore yesterday as far as Dyke Road, =
East=20
Chezzetcook, and back to Lawrencetown Marshes, Rainbow Heaven Provincial =
Park,=20
Cow Bay and Hartlen Point. The morning started with drizzle but soon the =
fog=20
rolled in and continued to get worse during the morning. I saw several =
Great=20
Blue Herons and Canada Geese however the fog degraded the images so much =
that=20
they were useless.</P>
<P>The only success I had was a Snowy Owl at Lawrencetown Beach. It =
seemed=20
oblivious to me but I kept my distance nonetheless. Continued =
examination of=20
their diet would be interesting. So far gulls, small rodents and even a=20
Ring-necked Pheasant have been confirmed though I suspect snow shoe =
hares,=20
squirrels and other small mammals would be fair game.</P>
<P>The Snowy Owl is the heaviest by far and consequently the strongest =
of all=20
our owls. When in Manitoba I was told that the Snowy Owl even preyed on =
the=20
Great Grey Owl, a larger prey than itself, although much lighter in =
weight. I=20
cannot confirm this of course.</P>
<P>Photos here: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/blog">http://www.hanstoom.com/blog</A></P=

<P></FONT><FONT size=3D2=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A><BR></P></F=