[NatureNS] Monarchs meals effect migration

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 23:08:20 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>

At 10:43 PM -0300 4/16/14, Doug Linzey wrote:
>On 16/04/2014 9:05 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:
>>    No mention is made of overwintering in California but other than
>>that I don't know how the passage that you singled out is
>>misleading.  Is only the trip north multigenerational ?
>
>In a word: Yes. The trip south is (generally) the fourth generation,
>which is the only one that lives for more than a few weeks. The
>monarchs hatched in Nova Scotia fly all the way to Mexico,
>overwinter, and are the first generation to head north. So the
>writer got it totally backward. And yes, I understand that western
>monarchs overwinter in California, which she doesn't mention.

Another glaring error in the NG statement was the "stopping at sites
along the way to breed and feed." One of the reasons, arguably the
most important, that the 4th (and in good years the 5th) generation
can live for 6 to 8 months while the adult lifespan of the preceding
generations average 2 to 4 weeks is because they are in reproductive
diapause. They do not breed until the colonies begin to breakup in
the early spring (late February/early March).

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3
902-460-8343 (cell)

philschappert.com
imaginaturestudio.ca
philschappert.ca

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                        (Michael Hedges)