[NatureNS] Planned demolition of Chimney Swift site, Kentville

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:16:27 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

--089e011835ea1c453304f7552754

hi folks,

I just received news that the old KCA school is scheduled to be demolished
in the *next couple of weeks*. I had missed news of this and am fortunate
to have heard about it from my wife today.

Last summer I found evidence of roosting by 2 Chimney Swifts (federally
'Threatened'; provincially 'Endangered') in the large chimney there (24 May
and 20 August), and although did not have solid evidence of them nesting
there, observed them above my house (1 block from the site) during the
breeding season (7 June).

I am writing to see if I can solicit any more information about the site or
some support in trying to see the demolition of the site delayed (until
after the migration/breeding season which begins soon) so that good
breeding surveys can be carried out this summer.

Can anyone recall whether, or point me to resources that might allow me to
find out if, the chimney was used in past years by Chimney Swifts? I have
not found any evidence in talking to local naturalists. (a past principal
or teacher at the school?)

Can anyone, who has been involved in a situation like this in the past
provide suggestions on how to appropriately approach informing the
appropriate parties?

I have contacted folks at NS DNR (Sherman Boates, Mark Elderkin), Bird
Studies Canada (Swiftwatch: Ally Manthorne, Holly Lightfoot) and
Environment Canada (Becky Whittam).

Thanks in advance!
cheers,
James

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--089e011835ea1c453304f7552754

d KCA school is scheduled to be demolished in the <b>next couple of weeks</=
b>. I had missed news of this and am fortunate to have heard about it from =
my wife today.=A0</div>

wifts (federally &#39;Threatened&#39;; provincially &#39;Endangered&#39;) i=
n the large chimney there (24 May and 20 August), and although did not have=
 solid evidence of them nesting there, observed them above my house (1 bloc=
k from the site) during the breeding season (7 June).=A0</div>

on about the site or some support in trying to see the demolition of the si=
te delayed (until after the migration/breeding season which begins soon) so=
 that good breeding surveys can be carried out this summer.=A0<br clear=3D"=
all">

t might allow me to find out if, the chimney was used in past years by Chim=
ney Swifts? I have not found any evidence in talking to local naturalists. =
(a past principal or teacher at the school?)</div>

his in the past provide suggestions on how to appropriately approach inform=
olks at NS DNR (Sherman Boates, Mark Elderkin), Bird Studies Canada (Swiftw=
atch: Ally Manthorne, Holly Lightfoot) and Environment Canada (Becky Whitta=
m).=A0</div>

target=3D"_blank">jameslchurchill@gmail.com</a><br>

--089e011835ea1c453304f7552754--