[NatureNS] transfer wood frog eggs?- and a little lime

From: David Patriquin <David.Patriquin@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:11:48 +0000

--_000_cde48783f6e54b3fb9fe1cc8a12539c0BN1PR03MB154namprd03pro_

Unfortunately, many of our vernal ponds in SW Nova Scotia are now too acidi=
c for amphibian eggs, so perhaps we should be throwing a piece of limestone=
 in at the same time.

In a 1999 essay "Pickled Eggs and Frogs' Legs", John Brownlie noted the neg=
ative effects of acid rain on amphibians in SW Nova Scotia, and that adults=
 will keep laying eggs even in waters that are acid enough to pickle the eg=
gs. He was hopeful that acidification would be reversed by 2020, by which t=
ime the adults would have passed on but then "there will still be people li=
ke me around who love frogs and salamanders; who like to hear them singing =
in the spring and who observe their mating rituals in breeding ponds. These=
 people will re-introduce amphibians to ponds and lakes from which they hav=
e disappeared."

As now well documented, SW Nova Scotia is NOT seeing the reversal in acidif=
ication accruing from emission controls seen in other regions because our s=
oils/rocks have some of the lowest weathering rates (and hence lowest capac=
ity to replace calcium and other basic cations) amongst soils of Europe and=
 eastern North America, a situation that is only worsened by clearcutting.

So my thought is that we should be both transferring eggs and throwing a pi=
ece of limestone into these ponds to keep the populations going for a futur=
e age. A good research project for sure, but in the absence of that under t=
he present regimes, perhaps some guerilla action to save our amphibians?

  *   Donna Crossland<https://ca-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=3Ddml2=
ots1jou79#>
  *   Today at 10:49 AM

  *   naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hello Fred:  What do you think of possibly transferring some to those
otherwise "doomed" wood frog egg masses to the more traditional ponds
located nearby, where wood frogs are traditionally known to frequent?  I
know that we humans have a tendency to "play God" with wildlife, but this
would seem like a fairly innocuous thing to do with perhaps very positive
outcomes.  With many wetland sites already dealing with external stressors
caused directly/indirectly by humans, is it possible that we could help out
a little here (if so inclined)?

This question may be more philosophical than natural history-based.

Donna Crossland