[NatureNS] Brant at Port George, other migrants

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:00:00 -0300

--_c668f900-cd2e-4ced-9f3e-105367c171a5_

Hello all=2C
On Good Friday afternoon=2C April 18=2C I was surprised to see six Brant fe=
eding where a small stream flows into the Bay in front of the recreation ce=
ntre in Port George.  The tide was high=2C and so they were on the rocks at=
 the water's edge=2C and no other birds could be found except about 8 Herri=
ng Gulls=2C and=2C in the water near shore=2C a male Red-breasted Merganser=
.  Unfortunately=2C I did not continue as far as the Cottage Cove wharf=2C =
or I might have seen the Harlequins that Larry got the next day.  These wer=
e my first Brant for Annapolis Co.=2C and an encouraging sign=2C although I=
 can remember when they were regular in the Grand Pr=E9 area.  The only oth=
er migrants that I saw at Port George that day were two Northern Flickers o=
n lawns nearby.  One-two pairs of Hooded Mergansers have been at the pond o=
f the Andrews Brook Bog just west of Margaretsville the last two times I wa=
s there (first on April 13).
My apologies for the late report=2C but Microsoft seems to be intent on ali=
enating Hotmail users by putting up new stumbling blocks for us every week.=
  I just got back into this=2C and am told that I will have to jump through=
 more hoops in the next 4 days in order to continue to use it.
Usually migrants are later along the south edge of the Valley and the South=
 Mountain than in the rest of it or along the coast (e.g.=2C my first grack=
le here was 13 April)=2C so that is not too critical=2C but I see that the =
Eastern Phoebe that I had at the Fales River bridge in East Tremont on 10 A=
pril seems to have been ahead of the pack.  It was a little surprising=2C b=
ut not as much so as the one that Mike Gemmell and I saw in the snow at his=
 place in Wilmot on 1 January 2014!
Cheers=2C
Wayne Neily
Tremont=2C NS

(Ignore anything after this - my signature block=2C quotes=2C etc. are not =
coming up=2C so if they do they will be unedited.)
 		 	   		  =

--_c668f900-cd2e-4ced-9f3e-105367c171a5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
fternoon=2C April 18=2C I was surprised to see six Brant feeding where a sm=
all stream flows into the Bay in front of the recreation centre in Port Geo=
rge.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BThe tide was high=2C and so they were on the rocks at t=
he water&#39=3Bs edge=2C and no other birds could be found except about 8 H=
erring Gulls=2C and=2C in the water near shore=2C a male Red-breasted Merga=
nser.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BUnfortunately=2C I did not continue as far as the Cott=
age Cove wharf=2C or I might have seen the Harlequins that Larry got the ne=
xt day.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BThese were my first Brant for Annapolis Co.=2C and a=
n encouraging sign=2C although I can remember when they were regular in the=
 Grand Pr&#233=3B area.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BThe only other migrants that I saw a=
t Port George that day were two Northern Flickers on lawns nearby.&nbsp=3B&=
nbsp=3BOne-two pairs of Hooded Mergansers have been at the pond of the Andr=
ews Brook Bog just west of Margaretsville the last two times I was there (f=
irst on April 13).<br>My apologies for the late report=2C but Microsoft see=
ms to be intent on alienating Hotmail users by putting up new stumbling blo=
cks for us every week.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BI just got back into this=2C and am t=
old that I will have to jump through more hoops in the next 4 days in order=
 to continue to use it.<br>Usually migrants are later along the south edge =
of the Valley and the South Mountain than in the rest of it or along the co=
ast (e.g.=2C my first grackle here was 13 April)=2C so that is not too crit=
ical=2C but I see that the Eastern Phoebe that I had at the Fales River bri=
dge in East Tremont on 10 April seems to have been ahead of the pack.&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3BIt was a little surprising=2C but not as much so as the one that=