pH & frog eggs: Fw: [NatureNS] transfer wood frog eggs?- and a little

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:16:57 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_008F_01CF6002.86804CB0

Hi Again,                                Apr 24, 2014
    I see, by a google search, that in one study pH >4.8 was found to be =
critical for frog egg fertilization.=20
    Only three of 108 province wide stations at which I measured pH of =
NS natural wates in 1954 had pH 4.8 or less: West Quoddy Lake (4.5; Hal. =
Co.), Birchtown Lake (4.8; Shel. Co.) and Sand Lake (4.8; Que. Co.). The =
earliest measurements were taken in late May, about 6 weeks after egg =
deposition. Projecting from pH trends over the summer at 5 stations, pH =
would likely have been lower at time of egg deposition.
    I is fun to (briefly) go back in time 60 years. Our Beckmann Model N =
pH meter was far superior to any I have used since; metal case and =
sturdy electronics so it didn't wander due to static charges and stray =
magnetic fields.=20
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
----- Original Message -----=20