[NatureNS] Tree hugger's quandary - our biggest/oldest Yellow Birch

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:46:43 -0300

Hi All,                                Apr 26. 2-14
    If that tree is 17.5' in diameter then the head of that gentleman who is
sitting on our right is 2.5' wide; a Guiness record for sure. Liars can
figure but undoctored images don't lie. Assuming the number 17.5 was
accurately transcribed from some vaild source then that tree could be 17.5'
in circumference; 5.57' in diameter (67") yielding a head "only" 10" wide
[or perhaps 7" if he is sitting well in front of the trunk].

    Again, assuming 17.5' in diameter, the radius would be 2667 mm which
assuming 1700 years, would yield an average ring width of 1.6 mm; entirely
reasonable for  Yellow Birch.

    Paul Bunyan with a magic increment borer could not extract a core 2667
mm long. Consequently, if a core was taken at all, it was likely no more
than 10 cm long with an average ring width of `1.6 mm. And someone with a
first-hand unfamiliarity with the facts subsequently used a state-of-the-art
computer program to divide the incorrect diameter of 17.5' ( i.e. 5334 mm)
by 2*1.6 mm.

    Therefore that tree is likely no more than 530 years old
[5.57*6*25.4/1.6]; old nonetheless.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville