[NatureNS] Mourning Cloak, Northern Shrike -Kemptown area

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:40:26 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01CF620D.7B7B5190

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all=20
Ross Hall and I did a little exploring in the back country near Kemptown =
yesterday and we delighted to see our first NS butterflies of the year =
(and final year of the Maritime Butterfly Atlas)- MOURNING CLOAK (MC).  =
Our first look resulted in a bit of an unsuccessful chase for a photo.  =
Our look at a second (MC) a few km further on was not successful either =
as I had the wrong setting on my camera and was too far away. However =
that butterfly settled on a tree further back the trail and was spotted =
by Ross. This time I was able to get an atlas photo- hopefully the first =
of many for the year.   I have not checked yet to see if this species =
(Mourning Cloak) was seen in the square before or not and am not even =
sure if last year's results have been posted yet on the Maritime =
Butterfly Atlas website. They were not last time I checked, but I =
suspect John (Kylmko) will soon have the results up so we know what to =
concentrate on for the upcoming atlas season.=20

We observed a nice male Northern Harrier over a blueberry field and =
nearby a late NORTHERN SHRIKE seen both perching in a lone tree in a =
hayfield and hunting over the field.=20

Ken

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01CF620D.7B7B5190

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ross Hall and I did a little exploring =
in the back=20
country near Kemptown yesterday and we delighted to see our first NS =
butterflies=20
of the year (and final year of the&nbsp;Maritime Butterfly&nbsp;Atlas)-=20
<STRONG>MOURNING CLOAK</STRONG> (MC).&nbsp; Our first look resulted in a =
bit=20
of&nbsp;an unsuccessful chase for a photo. &nbsp;Our look at a second=20
(MC)&nbsp;a few km further on was not successful either as I had the =
wrong=20
setting on my camera and was too far away. However that butterfly =
settled on a=20
tree further back the trail&nbsp;and was spotted by Ross. This time I =
was able=20
to get an atlas photo- hopefully the first of many for the&nbsp;year.=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;I have not checked yet to see if&nbsp;this species (Mourning =

Cloak)&nbsp;was seen in the square before or not and am not even sure if =
last=20
year's results have been posted yet on the Maritime Butterfly Atlas=20
website.&nbsp;They&nbsp;were not last time I checked, but I suspect John =

(Kylmko) will soon have the results up so we know what to concentrate on =
for the=20
upcoming atlas season. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>We observed a nice male Northern =
Harrier over a=20
blueberry field and nearby a late <STRONG>NORTHERN SHRIKE</STRONG> seen =
both=20
perching in a lone tree in a hayfield and hunting over the field. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01CF620D.7B7B5190--