[NatureNS] Gaspereau River Trail Passerines

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 18:02:35 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7bfd022aeaf60704f80c8503

Hi,

Are you sure they weren't frogs? They can make a terrific racket, and if
the sound was distorted by the rushing water it could certainly sound like
a high pitched pervasive chorus.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--047d7bfd022aeaf60704f80c8503

rogs? They can make a terrific racket, and if the sound was distorted by th=
e rushing water it could certainly sound like a high pitched pervasive chor=
us.<br>

_quote">On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Shouty McShoutsalot <span dir=3D"l=
tr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:desolatechair@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">desola=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">We took a hike along the tr=
ail this morning. =C2=A0It&#39;s still quite wet but as always, stunning. =
=C2=A0About 1.8k west of the White Rock bridge I noticed a high pitched, pe=
rvasive chorus above me that seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere. =
=C2=A0The river takes a sharp north hook here and the opposite bank climbs =
sharply - about 75 degrees - to the escarpment 50 metres above. =C2=A0For a=
bout 80 metres along that side this bank is heavily wooded with mature coni=
fers - mostly Hemlocks, with some Pines etc. =C2=A0Numerous trees were thic=
kly covered in cones, and the high heavy canopy was flooded with small very=
 active birds. =C2=A0The visual conditions were poor - I was in the gloom o=
f the floodplain and they were in the high canopy across the river against =
the bright sky - but I was able to identify American Goldfinch, Northern Ch=
ickadee, and Juncos. =C2=A0But it was the volume and density of the noise t=
hat struck me, even over the running water. =C2=A0By visual count I&#39;d s=
ay 500 birds in the 80mx50m area, but I believe based on the racket there w=
ere thousands. =C2=A0It was stunning.<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"=
#888888"><br clear=3D"all">

t, NS<br></div>
chard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichar=
d@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>##############=
#####

--047d7bfd022aeaf60704f80c8503--