[NatureNS] Gaspereau River Trail Passerines

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:50:29 -0300
From: Shouty McShoutsalot <desolatechair@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7bdc0da67e9b9c04f81df32e

That's interesting Rick, thanks for that.  Too bad about the Siskens, I've
been missing them as well last two years.  Hope it wasn't too mucky in
there for you!

Jamie

--
Jamie Simpson
Hantsport, NS

--047d7bdc0da67e9b9c04f81df32e

d about the Siskens, I&#39;ve been missing them as well last two years. =C2=
/div></div>
014 14:21, Rick Whitman <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dendroica.c=
aerulescens@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">I did walk the entire trail=
 today. The numbers of Black-capped Chickadees and Juncos were normal. But =
on the way in, about 50% further than Jamie&#39;s point, I found a large fl=
ock of Goldfinches behaving exactly as described: very high, very noisy, an=
d mobile. They were feeding on red maple (flowers ?) as much as on hemlock.=
 There were at least 50 and they flew off before I left. On the way out, ab=
out 2 hours later, I found a larger number roughly where Jamie saw them. Th=
ey were on both sides of the river this time, behaving the same. I&#39;ll r=
eport 100 to eBird but there could easily be 200. You can&#39;t see many of=
 these birds in the hemlocks, nor even all of the ones in the hardwoods, du=
e to the height and the hemlocks. They are quite mobile so I&#39;m not comm=
enting on what was there yesterday. When I went in, there was nothing where=
 there were 100 or 200 later. They were all Goldfinches; I looked at dozens=
 of them.<div>

ocks and in years past there have been 2 or 3 dozen at times. I heard one R=
ed Crossbill way upriver and felt I heard a Crossbill with the Goldfinches,=
 but couldn&#39;t confirm it.</div>

 PM, Shouty McShoutsalot <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:desolatech=
air@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">desolatechair@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wro=
te:<br>

gin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr=
">We took a hike along the trail this morning. =C2=A0It&#39;s still quite w=
et but as always, stunning. =C2=A0About 1.8k west of the White Rock bridge =
I noticed a high pitched, pervasive chorus above me that seemed to come fro=
m everywhere and nowhere. =C2=A0The river takes a sharp north hook here and=
 the opposite bank climbs sharply - about 75 degrees - to the escarpment 50=
 metres above. =C2=A0For about 80 metres along that side this bank is heavi=
ly wooded with mature conifers - mostly Hemlocks, with some Pines etc. =C2=
=A0Numerous trees were thickly covered in cones, and the high heavy canopy =
was flooded with small very active birds. =C2=A0The visual conditions were =
poor - I was in the gloom of the floodplain and they were in the high canop=
y across the river against the bright sky - but I was able to identify Amer=
ican Goldfinch, Northern Chickadee, and Juncos. =C2=A0But it was the volume=
 and density of the noise that struck me, even over the running water. =C2=
=A0By visual count I&#39;d say 500 birds in the 80mx50m area, but I believe=
 based on the racket there were thousands. =C2=A0It was stunning.<span><fon=
t color=3D"#888888"><br clear=3D"all">

t, NS<br></div>

--047d7bdc0da67e9b9c04f81df32e--