[NatureNS] Ticks Out - the Permethrin Option

From: David Patriquin <David.Patriquin@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 12:28:58 +0000

Respectfully, I would be more worried about that (applying a pyrethrin tea to skin)  than using the permethrin treated clothing where there is not direct contact with skin. It seems there is some mis-understanding of how the permethrin-treated clothing works and how it differs from spays in regard to toxicity and environmental effects. I have made some changes on the noticks.ca page to try to explain the difference.

I am certainly open to any evidence that the permethrin-treated (impreganted) clothing is NOT safe to users, and that it is hazardous to "the environment", but I have'nt seen any yet. On the other hand, there is such info. about pyrethrins and pyrethroids used as spays. See e.g.,
http://www.pesticide.org/get-the-facts/pesticide-factsheets/factsheets/pyrethrinspyrethrum