[NatureNS] NS Migration Count, HRM

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 14:10:09 -0300

Pat McKay and I covered our usual area around Porter's Lake and Three Fathom
Harbour yesterday.  Like Judy in Kings County, we found that the wind was
strong and conditions were damply chilling, even though the rain stopped as
soon as we arrived in the morning and didn't start up again until a few
minutes after we finished in the afternoon.  Fortunately, we did come
equipped with gloves, as they were needed!

The wind made for poor listening conditions, and the cool weather seemed to
have slowed migration in this area.  We found only half of last year's total
numbers for almost all the land bird species, and only four warbler species
in total (we usually have about 7 warbler species on this route).  We had no
vireos or kinglets at all.  There was less fog at the coast than last year,
however, so our totals of gulls and cormorants more than doubled.

We had some sightings that we'll remember with pleasure - a group of 5
Hermit Thrush that popped out of dense spruces to a pish, and looked us over
before popping back in again; a mixed flock of Tree and Barn Swallows
hawking for insects over a small pond by Porter's Lake; and a lingering
Snowy Owl in Three Fathom Harbour, that we've been watching all winter and
appeared to give us perhaps a final look.

I hope that others enjoyed their day of birding as much as we did.

Cheers,
Susann Myers