[NatureNS] Hares and hummer

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 23:21:14 -0300

Our day began early with not one but two Snowshoe Hares in our backyard
today, feeding mostly on grass but occasionally checking garden beds.  It
would seem now that our grass is finally showing green growth these hares
have discovered a fresh source of food as at least one has been coming each
morning around 6:00 a.m. for the past few days. Both were very large healthy
brown bunnies and not all shy about wandering around until our resident cock
pheasant strutted into view and began his daily ritual of loudly proclaiming
his territory. That in close quarters, can be a noisy spectacle.   Other
wildlife have started to explore our backyard as well.  Gordon saw a doe
feeding in the same area recently.

This afternoon I had the pleasure of observing a female hummingbird
appearing at the feeder. This is the second year that a female hummer has
arrived first, before a male.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts