[NatureNS] lots of empty FW Mussel shells- why?

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 13:35:56 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Water levels have dropped just enough on L Torment to show about 6" of beach in places now but the shore has been completely submerged since last October. The number of mussel shells seen in these pictures is unusual:

At the end of the path they are visible as far as you can see out into the water:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14196083311/

And it is this way the whole way along the shore. Another view 40' along the submerged beach:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14012727849/

This side of the lake has the prevailing onshore winds and waves and the shells are starting to collect in the exposed pockets:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14199406975/

Why so many empty mussel shells? Would the winter somehow have been hard on them- ice or cold or oxygen levels? Doesn't look like predation to me- too many shells. This is the first year I have ever seen anything like this.

Any ideas?

Nancy