[NatureNS] Fw: Pine Warbler and Least Flycatchers at Oakfield Provincial Park

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 13:43:23 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01CF71D5.F8EAE4B0

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Hans Toom=20
To: NS-RBA=20
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2014 1:42 PM
Subject: Pine Warbler and Least Flycatchers at Oakfield Provincial Park=20

There are at least two generations of Pine Warblers that have likely =
bred at Oakfield Provincial Park. Two years ago Fulton Lavender saw a =
fledgling and last year Fulton, Richard Hatch and myself saw and heard =
them and on a return visit alone I saw and photographed a Pine Warbler =
carrying food. I checked out the breeding area today and I believe I =
heard them singing albeit very high in the pines and quite invisible to =
my eye. The problem is that its early in the warbler season for me, just =
the second day actually, and confusion amongst trillers is easily made. =
Unfortunately, the park is full of trucks and mobile homes so I suspect =
a movie set is being set up which may prohibit access to some locations.

Due to the sensitivity of this situation and the possibility that Pine =
Warblers are establishing a breeding colony in Nova Scotia I will not =
disclose the location except to the president of the Nova Scotia Bird =
Society who may chose to release this location at his discretion. Crowds =
of well intentioned birders "pishing" and using recorded song may =
potentially compromise the location and lead to nesting failure. This =
has happened before. I note that the use of recorded bird song is =
prohibited in many state and all national US parks. Canada and Nova =
Scotia should follow suit.

Here's an example from the US National Park Service:

Responsible Birding in Yosemite

Yosemite National Park's scientists ask that you respect and help =
protect Yosemite's birds by following these rules when birding in order =
to avoid a negative impact on the park's birds.

1. Do not use any audio or mechanical device to attract birds and other =
wildlife (Code of Federal Regulations). State law strictly prohibits =
broadcasting recorded vocalizations of an endangered species, such as =
the great gray owl (California Code of Resources). The use of such =
devices may induce stress and disrupt mating/nesting activities of =
wildlife.

2. Do not view birds or other wildlife with a flashlight or spotlight =
(Code of Federal Regulations).

3. Do not divulge locations of any special status species observed in =
the park, particularly distribution over the Internet.

Note: The National Park Service is authorized to withhold information =
about endangered, threatened, and rare species in order to protect the =
species and their habitats from harm (National Parks Omnibus Management =
Act).

Violation of federal regulations may result in a fine of up to $5,000 =
and/or up to six months in jail.

Oakfield Provincial Park is loaded up with Least Flycatchers and I =
managed to photograph one. A Northern Parula also posed.

Yesterday whilst returning from Jerry Lawrence Provincial Park I spotted =
a Turkey Vulture overhead Highway 103.

There are three photos in my blog: http://www.hanstoom.com/blog

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01CF71D5.F8EAE4B0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dhtoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans =
Toom</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3DNS-RBA@yahoogroups.com=20
href=3D"mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, May 17, 2014 1:42 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Pine Warbler and Least Flycatchers at Oakfield =
Provincial=20
Park </DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><FONT size=3D2>There are at least two =
generations=20
of Pine Warblers that have likely bred at Oakfield Provincial Park. Two =
years=20
ago Fulton Lavender saw a fledgling and last year Fulton, Richard Hatch =
and=20
myself saw and heard them and on a return visit alone I saw and =
photographed a=20
Pine Warbler carrying food. I checked out the breeding area today and I =
believe=20
I heard them singing albeit very high in the pines and quite invisible =
to my=20
eye. The problem is that its early in the warbler season for me, just =
the second=20
day actually, and confusion amongst trillers is easily made. =
Unfortunately, the=20
park is full of trucks and mobile homes so I suspect a movie set is =
being set up=20
which may prohibit access to some locations.</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><FONT size=3D2>Due to the sensitivity =
of this=20
situation and the possibility that Pine Warblers are establishing a =
breeding=20
colony in Nova Scotia I will not disclose the location except to the =
president=20
of the Nova Scotia Bird Society who may chose to release this location =
at his=20
discretion. Crowds of well intentioned birders "pishing" and using =
recorded song=20
may potentially compromise the location and lead to nesting failure. =
This has=20
happened before. I note that the use of recorded bird song is prohibited =
in many=20
state and all national US parks. Canada and Nova Scotia should follow=20
suit.</FONT></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><FONT size=3D2>Here's an example from =
the US=20
National Park Service:</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><STRONG><FONT size=3D2><EM>Responsible Birding in=20
Yosemite</EM></FONT></STRONG></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2><EM>Yosemite National Park=92s scientists ask that you =
respect and=20
help protect Yosemite=92s birds by following these rules when birding in =
order to=20
avoid a negative impact on the park=92s birds.</EM></FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2><EM>1. Do not use any audio or mechanical device to =
attract=20
birds and other wildlife (Code of Federal Regulations). State law =
strictly=20
prohibits broadcasting recorded vocalizations of an endangered species, =
such as=20
the great gray owl (California Code of Resources). The use of such =
devices may=20
induce stress and disrupt mating/nesting activities of =
wildlife.</EM></FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2><EM>2. Do not view birds or other wildlife with a =
flashlight or=20
spotlight (Code of Federal Regulations).</EM></FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2><EM>3. Do not divulge locations of any </EM></FONT><A=20
id=3DCP___PAGEID=3D218540,ss-bird-species.htm,546|=20
href=3D"http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/ss-bird-species.htm"><FONT =

size=3D2><EM>special status species</EM></FONT></A><FONT size=3D2><EM> =
observed in=20
the park, particularly distribution over the Internet.</EM></FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2><EM>Note: The National Park Service is authorized to =
withhold=20
information about endangered, threatened, and rare species in order to =
protect=20
the species and their habitats from harm (National Parks Omnibus =
Management=20
Act).</EM></FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2><EM>Violation of federal regulations may result in a =
fine of up=20
to $5,000 and/or up to six months in jail.</EM></FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P></SPAN>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><FONT =
size=3D2>Oakfield&nbsp;Provincial Park is=20
loaded up with Least Flycatchers and I managed to photograph one. <SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><FONT size=3D2>A Northern Parula also=20
posed</FONT>.</SPAN></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><SPAN =

style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><FONT size=3D2>Yesterday whilst returning from =
Jerry=20
Lawrence Provincial Park I spotted a Turkey Vulture overhead Highway=20
103.</FONT></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><SPAN =

style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><FONT size=3D2>There are three photos in my =
blog:=20
</FONT></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><A href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/blog"><FONT =

size=3D2>http://www.hanstoom.com/blog</FONT></A></SPAN></SPAN></P></FONT>=
</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR></FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://www.hanstoom.com/</FONT></A><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTM=

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01CF71D5.F8EAE4B0--