[NatureNS] slacks - when do they refill?

From: Anne Woolaver <awoolave@hotmail.com>
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 09:10:41 -0300

gradually slow d
--_1b0c492c-6e87-456e-8b18-006a77f4f113_

Hi Randy=2C

=20

Is the water fresh? brackish? normal saline? hypersaline?  If the dunes are=
 close enough to the ocean=2C is it possible that in the winter when the sa=
nd is naturally more wet from precipitation the incoming tidewaters percola=
ting into the dunes from below push the precipitation water from the sand u=
p into visible pools?  Then in the summer the dunes dry out and there is no=
t enough precipitation water left in the sand to be pushed to the surface b=
y the tidewaters=2C and the slacks disappear.

=20

In the winter=2C do the slack-water levels rise and fall at all in coordina=
tion with the local tides=2C which as I recall can be very "weird" in any c=
ase within the Pomquet Harbour system itself=2C depending on wind direction=
!

=20

A. Woolaver

=20