[NatureNS] Butterflies and nectaring flower ID question

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 12:57:48 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01CF75BD.6EA26940

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi Angus, Judy and all

It is a bit of a tough year finding butterflies in the Pictou-Colchester =
counties I have been in. I have documented 5 species.  Earlier in late =
April and early May I had a couple Mourning Cloaks both new records for =
the squares I saw them in. About 10 days ago I had a Gray Common on Big =
I., I think my first for Pictou Co.

Since May 20, I have seen Brown Elfins in 4 squares, 3 of which were new =
atlas records for the square. I am finding most but not all  in spruce =
bogs but not in big numbers. I searched a bog between Tony River and =
Poplar Hill yesterday with no luck for my efforts. I have a photo of one =
not on a bog but there was a wet area nearby ( where I had seen Rusty =
Blackbird earlier in the month). The Brown Elfin is on a plant that I am =
having trouble identifying. It somewhat resembles a bluet, but it is =
white- has the four petals with yellow centres, maybe 8-10 cm tall, with =
small opposite and I think entire leaves. I have a photo- if someone is =
up for the challenge to ID, I could send it to them.=20
The bogs are chock-full now with Leatherleaf blooms and many bees are =
going to these flowers. A Gray Jay was working this bog- maybe it was =
eating all the elfins!  In fact I had a bonus day for Gray Jays =
yesterday, seeing 8 between Kemptown and Tony River.=20

I have recorded both single records of Cabbage and Mustard Whites- the =
former in "downtown" Scotsburn on dandelion and the latter at the =
entrance to the Meadowville Station section of the rails -trails and on =
wild strawberry. .=20

A few ( ~5) Spring Azures have been seen but not perched and moving too =
fast to catch. We need some warmer weather!!.=20

cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----=20