[NatureNS] White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 16:24:07 -0300

We have a number of finches passing through over the last couple days. Many
small tree toppers, too, that I can name a few of,  as they drop down and
peruse the yard before quickly climbing back to the heights where I cannot
see them clearly.
I have had vireos (Andy Dean taught me the call so I remember them that
way), lots of Purple finches, males, females and youngsters. More than ever
before, I think, American Goldfinches except in a blizzard.  Warblers. I
have recognized  Northern Parulas, yellow Rumped, Blackburnian, Chestnut
sided and Black and White. I believe there are several Canada but they don't
stay still enough for me to see. I hear what I think is a pine warbler. It
hangs out at my sister's down in the Estates.

Hummingbirds are setting up nests. There seems to be only one male at the
moment, and several females. I need to set out a sand tray. Those birds are
all so itchy.
There are more Tree Swallows this year than I have ever seen around here. It
is a mad house. I love all the twittering. This week has seen the mating
taking place (everywhere) and so soon incubation will begin. I have three of
four houses occupied and there is a lot of figuring who gets to keep the
house. I think summer people have put up houses. I see a number sitting out
on wires and feeding. Lovely. Sadly I have only seen the one barn swallow
and not lately. I need to check to see if the barn down the street is
housing any or not. I know the people living there meant to set things up to
try to keep out pigeons and let the swallows in.
Grackles, well we have grackles, many grackles. We do have two Ravens who
are watching Grackle;e movements very closely. I know there is a food chain
and I should let nature take its course but where grackles are concerned, I
want to put up a buffet sign.

This afternoon, I had a visitor it took awhile to ID. A female Indigo
Bunting! I posted photos to Birds on NS sight on Facebook and others agree.
I knew it wasn't the young Junco. I think I finally learned that lesson,
thanks to Ian.
The Finch I called Cassin hasn't been seen for a couple days now. It stayed
around almost a week coming and going. I still think it was that.
Ok I think that is it for now. Butterflies are scarce, too cold here yet,
and not a bat insight so far this year. I keep looking.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca