[NatureNS] Butterflies and nectaring flower ID question

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 21:11:08 -0300

&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;FONT size=3D2 face=3D

------=_NextPart_000_0079_01CF7602.59C468D0

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi Dave/Jane
Right after I sent my message, I looked up bluets in a different guide =
(I had checked Newcombs first where the photo shows blue- should have =
looked at the text where it states it can be blue or white)-  it was =
listed in Petersons in the white flower section.   I don't think I =
remember seeing a full big patch with white flowers only, or if I have I =
don't remember. There was not a bluish flower in sight at all.=20
I have not seen it all that often in the NE mainland. Checking the range =
map in the old Flora of Nova Scotia it is not listed from this part of =
the province. I have seen it in Trafalgar and now in Upper Kemptown near =
the county borders.=20
Interesting Bluet is not in the index in my old Flora of NS: I found it =
under Houstonia. It now has a different genus in the newer Flora of NS- =
Hedyotis meaning sweet ear.=20
It is listed as Bluet in the index of the newer Flora (revised by =
Zinck).
Anyway the Brown Elfin seemed attracted to the patch of white Bluets.=20

cheers
Ken

 ----- Original Message -----=20