[NatureNS] slacks - when do they refill?

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 17:58:22 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

prolonged wetting will slake any so
--001a11394fb4e69ed404fa3fbaab

Thanks David,

A nicely researched response (once again!).

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 23 May 2014 21:26, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

>  Hi Randy & All,                        A picture helps.
>      I remembered that I had a fairly large scale soil map of NS
> (MacDougall & Nowland, 1972; 1:450,000) so dug it out. Your library should
> have one if you don't. And a Google Earth image suggests that the slacks
> are predominantly along the southerly third of Pomquet Beach and parallel
> to the southerly shore of the beach.
>     The soil to the west of the west esturary (Monk's Head and south), and
> south west of the east esturary, is Queens; mostly unstructured, poorly
> drained soil high in silt & clay.  So the bottom muds of both estuaries,
> except perhaps where exposed to wave action on sand, are likely high in
> silt & clay and relatively impermeable.
>     That large nose of land between the two estuaries is Tormantine
> (moderately coarse and medium textured well drained soil) as is Pomquet
> Beach and land east of the east estuary. All of the Tormantine area is
> nearly free of watercourses except for those that drain less permeable soil
> to the south. So, as a rough estimate for this Tormentine costal region, at
> least 60% of the annual ppt. is disposed of by deep percolation and that
> flow has to go somewhere and exit at some lower elevation.
>     According to Google Earth some of that middle nose is about 85' above
> sea level. [But it also had some of the estuary 8' above sea level while
> much of the slacks area  was 0' so precision is poor.]
>     Movement of water in soil is directly proportional  to head, hydraulic
> conductivity and cross-sectional area available for flow  and inversely
> proportional to flow length. If there is a sufficiently deep layer of
> permeable bedrock under that nose and under the channel between the nose
> and Pomquet Beach then much of the refill water could be from the nose to
> the south.
>     I also wonder if the bottom of some of the slacks may have a lower
> elevation than water in these estuaries when rivers are at full flow. This
> would be flow driven by relatively  small head but over a relatively short
> flow path.
>     Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

 Lauff<br>

Way in the boonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.</div>
 Webster <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" target=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex">

<u></u>

=C2=A0=20
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 A picture helps.</=
div>
soil=20
map of NS (MacDougall &amp; Nowland, 1972; 1:450,000) so dug it out. Your=
=20
library should have one if you don&#39;t.=C2=A0And a Google Earth=20
image=C2=A0suggests that the slacks are predominantly along the=20
southerly=C2=A0third of Pomquet Beach and parallel to the southerly shore o=
f the=20
beach.</div>
k&#39;s=20
Head and south), and south west of the east esturary,=C2=A0is Queens; mostl=
y=20
unstructured, poorly drained soil=C2=A0high in silt &amp; clay.=C2=A0 So th=
e=20
bottom muds of both estuaries, except perhaps where exposed to wave action =
on=20
sand,=C2=A0are likely high in silt &amp; clay and relatively impermeable. <=
/div>
s=20
Tormantine (moderately coarse and medium textured well drained soil) as is=
=20
Pomquet Beach and land east of the east=C2=A0estuary. All of the Tormantine=
 area=20
is nearly free of watercourses except for those that drain less permeable s=
oil=20
to the south. So, as a rough estimate=C2=A0for this Tormentine=C2=A0costal=
=20
region, at least 60% of the annual ppt. is disposed of by deep percolation =
and=20
that flow has to go somewhere and exit at some lower elevation.</div>
is=20
about 85&#39; above sea level. [But it also had some of the estuary 8&#39; =
above sea=20
level while much of the slacks area=C2=A0 was 0&#39; so precision is poor.]=
=20
=C2=A0to=C2=A0head,=C2=A0hydraulic conductivity and cross-sectional=20
area=C2=A0available for=C2=A0flow=C2=A0=C2=A0and inversely proportional=20
to=C2=A0flow length. If there is a sufficiently deep layer of permeable bed=
rock=20
under that nose and under the channel between the nose and Pomquet Beach th=
en=20
much of the refill water could be from the nose to the south. </div>
cks=20
may have a lower elevation than water in these estuaries when rivers are at=
 full=20
flow. This would be flow driven by relatively=C2=A0 small head but over a=
=20
relatively short flow path. </div>
-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px" dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"">
  <a title=3D"randy.lauff@gmail.com" href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com" =
target=3D"_blank">Randy=20
  Lauff</a> </div>
s.ca" href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">NatureNS</a=
Friday, May 23, 2014 3:14 PM</div>
en do=20
  they refill?</div>
=3D"http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/307/PomquetSlack.jpg" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/307/PomquetSlack.jpg</a>.=20
  One person I asked locally thought that the slack filled up again with th=
e=20
  autumn rains. That&#39;s probably right, but I still can&#39;t discount s=
now melt=20
  accompanied by spring rain. I guess I&#39;ll find out this year.
=20
ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nancypdo=
PADDING-LEFT:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">Maybe it is just evaporation. Water=
 accumulates in the=20
    leaf-lined slacks in the Spring (rain and melt) and eventually warming =
temps=20
    and strong sun evaporate it until it is empty. Over the summer heat and=
 sun=20
    manage to keep up with the rainfall not allowing it to accumulate for a=
ny=20
    length of time (it must be hot down in those slacks). Then once the coo=
ler=20
    temps and less intense sun of Fall take over rainwater can accumulate o=
nce=20
=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" target=3D"_blank">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt;=
=20
ined=20
    these dunes to be bare sand. With tree cover on the peaks and presumabl=
y=20
    none on the slacks there is another effect that will increase effective=
 ppt=20
    in the slacks; sublimation on the tree canopy in calm weather and selec=
tive=20
    snow accumulation in treeless areas (roads, glades, etc) in windy weath=
er=20
    due to less turbulence and less speed over glades..<br>&gt; Yt, DW<br>&=
gt;=20
    ----- Original Message -----<br>&gt; From: Randy Lauff<br>&gt; To:=20
    NatureNS<br>&gt; Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:57 AM<br>&gt; Subject:=
 Re:=20
    [NatureNS] slacks - when do they refill?<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Thanks=20
    folks,<br>&gt;<br>&gt; I haven&#39;t been there in winter, despite my b=
eing in=20
    NS now for over 20 years.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Here&#39;s the landscape pict=
ure=20
    though. Picture an accordion, partly open lying on its back. The bellow=
s=20
    represent the dune system at Pomquet, there are peaks and troughs (slac=
ks),=20
    and precious little other elevations going on. At the slack in question=
, the=20
    surrounding peaks of the dunes are dominated by white pine and oak, wit=
h=20
    other trees as well.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Fred asked, if the dunes are sandy=
, how=20
    are they holding water in the first place? Basically, I think there is =
leaf=20
    litter which may be accumulating in the slack to slow the water seepage=
.=20
    Further to Anne&#39;s email, the slack in question is well back from th=
e salt=20
    water, I suspect there is no salt to speak of in that water. Mosquitoes=
 are=20
    there in the billions, peepers are deafening, both suggesting fresh wat=
er=20
    (though I realize a few mosquitoes can tolerate brackish=20
    _________________________________<br>&gt; RF Lauff<br>&gt; Way in the=
=20
 May=20
    2014 18:24, David &amp; Alison Webster&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@gl=
inx.com" target=3D"_blank">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>&gt;=20
    Hi Randy &amp; All, =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =
=C2=A0=20
    =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0May 20, 2014<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =
=C2=A0=20
    I don&#39;t have a clear picture of the topography, either dune or inla=
nd, but=20
    one possible source of water in the slacks is drifting of snow into=20
    pools.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 In woods south of Kentville, where=
 I=20
    used to walk in winter, pools in woodland cradlehollows of swampy sites=
=20
    never froze. With 2&#39;-3&#39; of snow on the ground, the air cone was=
 typically=20
    about ~1&#39; across at snow level and 4&quot; across at water level. E=
ven at -20o C,=20
    with heavy snowfall, 60 mph winds and drifting snow =C2=A0there would b=
e no=20
    hint of ice. From the viewpoint of ppt per unit area these cones act as=
=20
    black holes; snow blows into them but, soon being water, can not escape=
.=20
    These air cones were absent when snow was not deep enough to act as a g=
ood=20
    insulator. With sufficient snow cover drifted ~level over the swamp, th=
e=20
    soil at the base of cradlehollows would warm sufficiently by ground hea=
t=20
    from below to melt overlying snow and eventually generate one of these =
air=20
    cones.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 If these pools were sufficiently a=
bove=20
    the water table then they would tend to be transient but, in most soils=
=20
    (given sufficient iron and decomposable organic matter), infiltration r=
ate=20
    at constant head will gradually slow due to formation of a local iron p=
an=20
    over decades or centuries. This effect interested me because ortstein i=
s=20
    sometimes very scattered; patches 3-4&#39; wide and 10-15&#39; apart an=
d these pools=20
    that collect below air cones could account for this. Also prolonged wet=
ting=20
    will slake any soil aggregates and decrease infiltration=20
    rate.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Getting back to dunes, in the ideal=
ized=20
    case of parallel linear dunes and linear slacks and =C2=A0in deep snow=
=20
    conditions I would expect linear narrow pools at the base of linear nar=
row=20
    trenches in the snow; V-shaped deposits of ortstein if dunes are stable=
 and=20
    not advancing.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Have you been there in win=
ter=20
    and if so does any of this register ?<br>&gt; Yt, Dave Webster,=20
    Kentville<br>&gt; ----- Original Message -----<br>&gt; From: Randy=20
    Lauff<br>&gt; To: NatureNS<br>&gt; Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:20=20
    PM<br>&gt; Subject: Re: [NatureNS] slacks - when do they=20
    refill?<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Thanks Fred, but in a dune system, wouldn&#39;t=
 that=20
    mean that the slacks would be less than half full with water? These are=
 sand=20
    dunes...very porous, so I&#39;m suspecting water leaching in from the h=
ills of=20
    the dunes into the slacks just couldn&#39;t fill them. This is unlike t=
he=20
    condition in vernal pools where there can be ample elevation around fro=
m=20
    which water could leach in to the pool area. I&#39;m thinking there has=
 to be a=20
    significant rain or snow fall to fill them.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;=20
    Lauff<br>&gt; Way in the boonies of<br>&gt; Antigonish County,=20
href=3D"mailto:bckcdb@istar.ca" target=3D"_blank">bckcdb@istar.ca</a>&gt;wr=
ote:<br>&gt; On=20
    5/20/2014 2:18 PM, Randy Lauff wrote:<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Between several o=
f the=20
    dunes at Pomquet Beach, Ant. Co., the slacks (the<br>&gt; troughs betwe=
en=20
    dune crests) fill with water, but by summer are dry. I<br>&gt; guess I&=
#39;ve=20
    just never been there at the right time to see when they fill<br>&gt;=
=20
    again...it can&#39;t be just from winter melt water, since the slacks=
=20
    are<br>&gt; almost full (and snow melts to about 10% its volume as wate=
r).=20
    Do the<br>&gt; autumn rains fill them again, or the spring rains? Or is=
 it=20
    a<br>&gt; case-by-case scenario, which I&#39;d just have to=20
    monitor?<br>&gt;<br>&gt; * I had the same thought about vernal pools at=
 the=20
    CARCNET meeting at Quebec City in 1999, during a presentation on Marble=
d=20
    Salamanders, which come down into the vernal pools to lay their eggs on=
 the=20
    dry pondbed in the fall, and stay with them all winter. It turns out th=
at=20
    the vernal pools fill from the water table, as one would think sandy du=
nes=20
    would. And yes, I&#39;ve been monitoring water level in our local Wood =
Frog=20
&gt;=20
    ------------------------------------------------------------<br>&gt; =
=C2=A0=20
    =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Frederick W. Schueler &amp; Aleta Karstad<br=
>&gt;=20
    Daily Paintings -<a href=3D"http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/</a><br>&gt;=
=20
    Vulnerable Watersheds -<a href=3D"http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/"=
&gt;=20
    =C2=A0 =C2=A0study our books -<a href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/books/index=
.htm" target=3D"_blank">http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm</a><br>
,=20
    Canada K0G 1T0<br>&gt; =C2=A0 on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 5=
2&#39;N=20
    75* 42&#39;W<br></div>&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=3D"tel:%28613%29258-310=
7" value=3D"+16132583107" target=3D"_blank">(613)258-3107</a> &lt;bckcdb <a=
 href=3D"http://atistar.ca" target=3D"_blank">atistar.ca</a>&gt; <a href=3D=
"http://pinicola.ca/" target=3D"_blank">http://pinicola.ca/</a><br>