[NatureNS] Spores vs. seeds

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 21:25:48 -0300

Hi Gerald & All,                            June 2, 2014
    Mainly a seed (at least a typical seed) is a multicellular non motile
product of sexual reproduction and has differentiated structures such as
cotyledons, plumule and radicle whereas spores can be single-celled or
multicellular, the haploid sometimes motile participants of sexual union, or
diploid cells or clusters of cells that are generated following this union
or asexual diploid cells that are just shed under some conditions like a
specialized single-celled botanical dandruff. Many 'primitive' organisms are
able to generate resting spores,  when conditions become adverse, so they
can survive otherwise lethal conditions.
    The above are distinct from the various multicellular diploid packages
for vegetative propagation that are split off from lichens, mosses,
liverworts and some vascular plants.

    Brodo, Sharnoff and Sharnoff (Lichens of North America) is a recent book
with good illustrations but difficult to use because species are arranged in
alphabetical order so closely related genera, that might readily be
confused, are scattered.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville