[NatureNS] minnows?

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 11:30:28 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

We have always called these little (20-60mm) fish by the technical name "minnows". I think they may be Sticklebacks of some sort. Note these pictures were taken from a rock looking into the shallows and there was some wave action. Neither good nor clear in other words. The shadows may give more hint of their identity than the fish themselves:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14164740800/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14350478654/

These "minnows" are usually in groups of +/-10 fish. This pic seems to show a lot of smaller ones (look for shadows) and one larger one at center left. If these are Sticklebacks, I have read they do not abandon their eggs but provide some protection and parental care for their young. Could this be a family group? Or just a random collection of fish:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14164661189/

Thanks for any observations, Nancy